No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsCrimeGuatemalans bury victims of 1982 civil war massacre

Guatemalans bury victims of 1982 civil war massacre

NEBAJ, Guatemala – Weeping and singing Christian hymns, Guatemala’s indigenous Ixil Mayans buried Wednesday the remains of 31 civilians killed by the army during the country’s bloody civil war three decades ago.

Relatives of the victims carried wooden coffins through the streets of Nebaj, a small town in the north, toward the local cemetery as a voice announced through a loudspeaker that they were “those that the army massacred in 1982.”

Before a Catholic mass and burial, families held a Mayan ceremony, burning colorful candles and tree resin in the town located in Quiché province.

Only eight of the 31 remains were identified after years of work by forensic specialists because the bodies were burned and many turned to ashes, said Diego Rivera, president of the North Quiché Victims Association.

Nebaj, along with Chajul and Cotzal, is part of the Ixil Mayan region decimated during the conflict and trying to put former dictator Efraín Ríos Montt behind bars over the killings.

Ríos Montt, who ruled with an iron fist from March 1982 to August 1983, was sentenced last year to 80 years in prison for genocide in the case involving the massacre of more than 1,000 Ixil Mayans.

The regime accused Ixil Mayans of supporting leftist guerrillas during the 36-year civil war that ended in 1996.

But the former general’s conviction was struck down by the Constitutional Court on the grounds that he was denied due process. A new trial is due to begin in January.

Johan Ordóñez/AFP
Johan Ordóñez/AFP

A place to leave flowers

The massacre was committed in the village of Xecax on Feb. 4, 1982, after unidentified individuals threw an explosive device on the road leading to Nebaj.

“After a bomb exploded, the army arrived to destroy the community,” Rivera said. “The population paid for it, but nobody knows who threw the bomb.”

The army “burned homes and people, they massacred men, women and children,” he said.

DNA tests will be conducted to identify the 23 victims whose remains were unrecognizable.

Margarita Hermoso Pérez, 69, lost three sons and a daughter, as well as her two parents in law in the massacre.

“She sent her children to the village when the war started. They were killed in a champita [tin-roof home],” said her grandson Juan Hermoso, who served as an interpreter for the woman, who only speaks Ixil Mayan. “Then they piled them up one on top of the other and poured gasoline on them to burn them.”

The remains were exhumed four years ago and she had been anxiously waiting for the day she could finally close a chapter in her grief by burying them at the town cemetery.

“She’s satisfied that her sons and in-laws are back here. Now she can go leave flowers for them and she’s more at peace to see them,” Hermoso said.

Some 200,000 people were killed in the civil war, 93 percent of them at the hands of the government’s armed forces, according to a United Nations report.

The report found that 83 percent of victims were Mayans and nearly half of the human rights abuses were committed in the department of Quiché.

Johan Ordóñez/AFP
Johan Ordóñez/AFP

Trending Now

What the Caribbean Green Alert Means for Your Weekend Plans

If you are going to the Caribbean coast or the Northern Zone over the next few days, plan for rain and give yourself more...

Costa Rica Under Orange Alert as Caribbean Ground Reaches Saturation

Updated Monday at 11:40 a.m. Route 32 has reopened. The Río Chirripó bridge on Route 4 is closed. The ground across the Caribbean can no...

Mother’s Day Is a Full National Holiday in Costa Rica

Today is Día de la Madre, and it is a full national holiday in Costa Rica, not just a greeting-card occasion. Public offices are...

Costa Rica Study Examines How Water-Resistant Sunscreen Affects Body Heat

Some water-resistant sunscreens may slightly reduce the body’s ability to cool itself during prolonged exercise in hot conditions, according to research conducted at the...

Route 32 shut again with a reopening decision due this morning

Route 32 between the Central Valley and Limón remained closed early Tuesday pending a MOPT inspection. What the detours look like and why the slopes keep failing.

What happened to Galeria Namu?

Founded in 1998, Galeria Namu had become a must-visit attraction for tourists visiting San Jose, as well as for many nationals, interested in seeing...

Costa Rica Heavy Rains Cause Flooding and Travel Disruptions

Heavy rains from Tropical Wave No. 32 left flooding, overflowing rivers, landslides and road problems across several parts of Costa Rica, while forecasters warned...

Costa Rica Reviews 24 Extradition Requests in Drug Cases

Twenty-four Costa Rican citizens are being held while courts decide whether they should be sent to the United States, Panama or France to face...

Family Demands Answers on Missing Political Prisoners in Nicaragua

Relatives of a retired military officer and his wife, who were detained a year ago in Nicaragua, demanded Saturday that the government of Daniel...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel