• Tico Travel Surfing
  • Costa Rica Coffee Guide
  • Squaremouth travel insurance button 468x106
  • Costa Rica Real Estate

Former Costa Rican President José María Figueres confirms 2014 presidential bid

February 9, 2015

For months, former Costa Rican President José María Figueres (1994-1998) dodged reporters’ questions about whether his recent return to Costa Rica after years of living in Europe signified an interest in running for president in 2014. Figueres frequently responded that it was too early for campaigning.

That seems to have changed late last week as a spokesman for the former president confirmed a report in the daily La Nación that Figueres would seek a second term in the nation’s highest political office.

“Don José María has said that he wants to be a presidential candidate to arrive at Zapote,” the former president’s spokesman, José Manuel Peña, told local news station Radio ADN, La Nación reported.

Peña’s confirmation follows an earlier report in the daily that said San José Mayor Johnny Araya had confirmed Figueres’ presidential plans after a meeting between the two leaders of the National Liberation Party in late August.

The 57-year-old former president returned to Costa Rica in December 2011 for the first time in 11 years, after moving to Europe following a scandal involving French telecom Alcatel, which allegedly paid Figueres nearly $1 million in consulting fees in exchange for lobbying for the company in Costa Rica. While Figueres was never charged with a crime, many Costa Ricans believe the payment was highly irregular.

In late July, Figueres launched “La Vía Costarricense” (“The Costa Rican Way”), a public initiative to “help solve the country’s ongoing problems.” At the time, Figueres denied the initiative was a political move preceding an eventual bid to the Casa Presidencial. “I’m not thinking about that right now. This is not the time to talk about that,” he said on July 23.

You may be interested

Costa Rica confirms 21 new coronavirus cases
Costa Rica
8923 views
Costa Rica
8923 views

Costa Rica confirms 21 new coronavirus cases

Alejandro Zúñiga - April 2, 2020

Costa Rica has confirmed 396 cases of the novel coronavirus, the Health Ministry announced Thursday afternoon. The figure marks a…

News briefs: Banks warn against COVID-19-related scams
Costa Rica
1408 views
Costa Rica
1408 views

News briefs: Banks warn against COVID-19-related scams

Alejandro Zúñiga - April 2, 2020

The coronavirus pandemic has impacted daily life in Costa Rica, which has declared a State of Emergency and enacted sweeping…

Costa Rica enacting strict measures during Semana Santa; country adds 28 new coronavirus cases
Costa Rica
8972 views
Costa Rica
8972 views

Costa Rica enacting strict measures during Semana Santa; country adds 28 new coronavirus cases

Alejandro Zúñiga - April 1, 2020

Costa Rica is enacting a series of measures to slow the spread of COVID-19 during Semana Santa (Easter Holy Week).…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!