No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveErnesto moves across southeastern Mexico as tropical storm

Ernesto moves across southeastern Mexico as tropical storm

Ernesto weakened to a tropical storm as it swept over the Yucatan Peninsula early Wednesday, but forecasters predicted it could soon regain strength across Mexico’s oil-rich Bay of Campeche.

The storm, which made landfall as a category one hurricane before being downgraded to a tropical storm, dumped heavy rain on the region, prompting fears of flash floods and mudslides.

There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties, although authorities warned that the full impact of the storm take several days to play out.

Power outages were reported in the walled city of Campeche, a world heritage site on the west coast of the Yucatan Peninsula facing the Gulf of Mexico, and authorities warned its 300,000 residents to be prepared to batten down.

The Bay of Campeche is the center of Mexico’s vital offshore oil fields.

“Pemex said that it was canceling some training exercises at oil rigs, but otherwise all operations in the region were normal,” energy analyst Addison Armstrong of Tradition Energy said.

The storm was packing maximum sustained winds of 95 kilometers (60 miles) per hour, the Miami, Florida-based National Hurricane Center said.

“Ernesto is forecast to move across the southern portion of the Bay of Campeche tonight and approach the coast of Mexico,” it said.

“Restrengthening is forecast after the center emerges over the Bay of Campeche and Ernesto could regain hurricane strength before landfall on Thursday.”

Ernesto – the second hurricane of the Atlantic season – made landfall late Tuesday near the town of Mahahual in Mexico’s Quintana Roo state, the NHC said, citing radar data from Belize.

The Yucatan peninsula is home to bustling holiday destinations such as the resort city of Cancun and the island of Cozumel, but authorities in Quintana Roo state said were few tourists in the area where the storm hit.

Nevertheless, state tourism secretary Juan Carlos Gonzalez said more than 200 emergency shelters had been set up to accommodate more than 80,000 people if necessary.

Mexico’s defense ministry said it had mobilized about 1,000 soldiers to remain on alert in the area.

Authorities in Mexico shifted the hurricane warning to the country’s Gulf coast, with other areas now under a tropical storm warning, as Ernesto tore westward. Neighboring Belize downgraded its hurricane warning to a tropical storm warning.

The storm, which began drenching Caribbean countries last week, was expected to dump eight inches of rain (30 centimeters) on areas of Belize, Guatemala and Mexico, with up to 12 inches of rain in isolated areas. Honduras was also hit.

”These rains may produce life threatening flash floods and mudslides over higher terrain,” the NHC added.

This is the fifth named storm in the Atlantic Ocean since the hurricane season began on June 1.

Chris, which strengthened to hurricane force on June 21, stayed far off land, and fizzled out up without causing any damage.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Expat Struggles with Food Issues in the US

Confession time: I miss my Tico diet. Basic, almost boring, it is made up primarily of beans, eggs, tomatoes, bananas, bread, tortillas, coffee, chicken...

Dollar Hits 17-Year Low in Costa Rica as Tourism Feels the Pinch

Costa Rica's tourism industry is under pressure yet again as the US dollar exchange rate on the Monex market dropped to ₡498 last Friday...

Avianca Flight Disruptions Hit Costa Rica and All Central America

Colombian airline Avianca announced today that software issues in its Airbus A320 aircraft will cause major flight interruptions across its network, including key routes...

Costa Rica Forecasts 40,000 Starlink Subscriptions by 2030

Costa Rica's telecommunications regulator forecasts that satellite internet connections will hit 40,000 by 2030, with Starlink leading the charge. The Superintendencia de Telecomunicaciones (Sutel)...

Nicaragua Releases Doctor to House Arrest After Disappearance

Nicaraguan authorities have released Yerri Estrada, a 30-year-old doctor with dual Costa Rican and Nicaraguan citizenship, from prison after holding him in forced disappearance...

Miami eyes first MLS final with Messi in unstoppable form

Inter Miami is within reach of its first MLS final in Saturday’s clash against New York City, a game it enters as favorite thanks...
Avatar
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Rocking Chait
Costa Rica Travel

Latest News from Costa Rica