No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveFormer presidential candidate accused of accepting ‘ghost’ salary

Former presidential candidate accused of accepting ‘ghost’ salary

Board members from the Costa Rican Social Security System, or Caja, this week accused former lawmaker and ex-presidential candidate Walter Muñoz of allegedly receiving ₡23 million ($46,000) in consulting fees from the public health agency between 2002-2004 without performing any work.

Caja officials called for a legal investigation of the case and are seeking to recover the funds, plus ₡15 million ($30,000) in interest. Officials said they found evidence the payments were made, but there is apparently no record of duties or functions carried out by Muñoz.

Caja President Ileana Balmaceda said officials also filed a complained to the Prosecutor’s Office claiming Muñoz failed to pay mandated insurance premiums to the Caja.

Muñoz is a former presidential candidate for the now-defunct National Integration Party, having sought the presidency in 1998, 2002 and 2006. He now heads the National Association of the Insured, a group that is pushing for a referendum on how Caja board members are appointed.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Estate Becomes Refuge for Rare Agami Heron

Around 1,000 agami herons have made a private estate in Guatuso their home, creating an unusual concentration of one of the most elusive heron...

Missing Hiker Found Alive After Four Days in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

A 58-year-old Costa Rican hiker who had been missing for four days inside Chirripó National Park was found alive this morning, ending an extensive...

What happened to Galeria Namu?

Founded in 1998, Galeria Namu had become a must-visit attraction for tourists visiting San Jose, as well as for many nationals, interested in seeing...

Costa Rican Surfers Chase a Home Title as WSL Finals Day Runs at Playa Hermosa

The quarterfinals, semifinals and final of the Garabito Surf City Pro all run Sunday at Playa Hermosa, with Leilani McGonagle carrying the strongest Costa Rican result into the closing rounds.

Costa Rica Heavy Rains Cause Flooding and Travel Disruptions

Heavy rains from Tropical Wave No. 32 left flooding, overflowing rivers, landslides and road problems across several parts of Costa Rica, while forecasters warned...

Latin American Qualifiers Face Double-Duty Day at Cincinnati Open

Latin America’s Cincinnati Open contingent faces a high-pressure Wednesday after severe weather disrupted the opening day of qualifying, leaving several players from the region...

More than 900 Costa Rican schools have no classes this Monday

If your child goes to school in Turrialba, Sarapiquí, Limón or Sulá, there are no classes today. Those four areas are closed in full,...

Novak Djokovic Reveals Health Issue After Cincinnati Open Loss

Novak Djokovic’s return to competition lasted just one match Saturday as the 24-time Grand Slam champion struggled physically in the Cincinnati heat before suffering...

Costa Rica Under Orange Alert as Caribbean Ground Reaches Saturation

Updated Monday at 11:40 a.m. Route 32 has reopened. The Río Chirripó bridge on Route 4 is closed. The ground across the Caribbean can no...
Avatar
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel