Costa Rica Coffee Guide

Wal-Mart Mexico announces acquisition of Central American affiliate

December 4, 2009

Wal-Mart Mexico announced Monday that it will acquire Wal-Mart Central America within the next few weeks.

Shareholders of Wal-Mart Mexico will acquire 51 percent of the shares of Wal-Mart Central America, while the remaining 49 percent will remain distributed among minority shareholders throughout the region. Wal-Mart Central America is the leading operator of supermarkets in the region, with locations in El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Costa Rica.

“We are uniting two important businesses,” said Doug McMillon, the president and CEO of Wal-Mart International. “This will improve the level of cooperation in the area and offer better service to our clients in Latin America.”

Wal-Mart Central America manages 519 stores and 11 distribution centers. Wal-Mart International reports that sales for the Central American locations have totaled more than $3.3 billion over the past 12 months.

In Costa Rica, Wal-Mart employs about 9,200 people in the Palí, Más x Menos, Hipermás and Maxi Bodega grocery stores, all of which are owned by Wal-Mart. In the Central American region, Wal-Mart employs more than 30,000 people.

In Mexico, Wal-Mart has close to 1,500 locations throughout the country.

Marcos Samaha, the president and CEO of Wal-Mart Central America, will continue to lead the regional operation and will join the board of directors for Wal-Mart Mexico. The acquisition and restructuring process is expected to be completed by the end of the month. Wal-Mart did not indicate whether there will be job reductions.

You may be interested

Nicaragua celebrates a joyous festival of horrors in lead-up to Halloween
Latin America
1 views
Latin America
1 views

Nicaragua celebrates a joyous festival of horrors in lead-up to Halloween

Alejandro Zúñiga - October 26, 2020

Disguised as devils, witches, goblins and terrifying characters from indigenous mythology, thousands of Nicaraguans celebrated with joy and boisterous dances…

News briefs: Costa Rica news highlights to start your week
Costa Rica
1792 views
Costa Rica
1792 views

News briefs: Costa Rica news highlights to start your week

The Tico Times - October 26, 2020

Happy Monday from The Tico Times! We hope you're reading this while drinking a delicious Costa Rican coffee or eating a…

Sloth Sunday: Awarding the top sloths of the 2020 Ironman Games
Sloth Sundays
1948 views
Sloth Sundays
1948 views

Sloth Sunday: Awarding the top sloths of the 2020 Ironman Games

The Tico Times - October 25, 2020

Over the last five days, sloths at the Toucan Rescue Ranch have participated in grueling tests of strength and endurance…