No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeCosta RicaEx Costa Rica President Miguel Ángel Rodríguez Accused of Meddling in Judge...

Ex Costa Rica President Miguel Ángel Rodríguez Accused of Meddling in Judge Selection

FORMER President Miguel Ángel Rodríguez (1998-2002) – accused of corruption – recently was accused of pressuring legislators in their selection of a new judge for the Penal Branch of the Supreme Court (Sala III), by whom he may ultimately be judged.

The accusation was made last week by legislator Gloria Valerín, of the Social Christian Unity Party (PUSC), according to the daily La Nación. Valerín said Unity legislator and party head Federico Vargas told legislators at a party meeting that Rodríguez asked for a no vote on the selection of judge Rosario Fernández for the highly discussed open position in the Sala III.

Valerín’s accusations were confirmed this week by Unity legislator Gerardo González, Legislative Assembly president, and another Unity legislator, who wished to not be identified, the daily reported. Vargas denies he spoke about the judge’s position with ex-President Rodríguez, who is now under house arrest after being held in preventive prison for accusations of corruption.

The Sala III post was vacated by the retirement of judge Daniel González. A vote for his replacement has been pending for 28 days. Five candidates aspire for the position: judges Fernández, Ronald Salazar, Carmen Blanco, María Elena Gómez and Magda Pereira. Fernández and Salazar have so far received the most votes, but neither the necessary amount.

On Tuesday, Citizen Action Party (PAC) legislators asked Salazar to withdraw from the contest because of the accusations. “In political moments such as the ones we are living it is imperative that any naming be above questioning, especially when it involves the Judicial Branch,” PAC legislators wrote in a letter to Salazar.

The Sala III is the highest penal court in the country and may eventually make a decision on the corruption charges against Rodríguez and former President Rafael Ángel Calderón, Jr. (1990-1994). Both men have been accused of accepting funds from private firms in connection with government contracts.

On Wednesday, PAC legislators announced in a statement that the Chief Prosecutor’s Office has agreed to their request to investigate the alleged attempts of both ex-Presidents to influence the naming of the Sala III judge. When asked about the accusations of political pressure, President Abel Pacheco commented this week during his weekly Cabinet meeting, “there is no proof that has happened.”

Trending Now

Keylor Navas Helps Pumas Hold América in Wild Liga MX Playoff Opener

Keylor Navas and Pumas left the former Estadio Azteca with the Liga MX quarterfinal series still alive after a wild 3-3 draw against América...

Costa Rica swears in Laura Fernández Friday as second female president

Laura Fernández will be sworn in Friday, May 8, as Costa Rica's 49th president, succeeding Rodrigo Chaves at a ceremony that will mark several...

Trump Says He Would Not Pay $1,000 for U.S. World Cup Opener

President Donald Trump said in an interview published Thursday that he would not pay the $1,000-plus ticket price for the United States' first World...

El Salvador Advances Geothermal Expansion with World Bank Support

Geothermal energy supplies about 21 percent of El Salvador’s net electricity, placing the country among the world’s leaders in its use of this renewable...

Canada Updates Costa Rica Travel Advisory Over Crime Concerns

Canada has updated its travel advice page for Costa Rica, keeping our country under a nationwide recommendation to “exercise a high degree of caution”...

Costa Rica Declares Green Alert at Poás Volcano Amid Increased Activity

Costa Rica’s National Emergency Commission declared a green alert for Poás Volcano National Park after a recent increase in eruptive activity, while clarifying that...
Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel