No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsNew Costa Rica Soccer Coach Promises Sacrifice and Discipline

New Costa Rica Soccer Coach Promises Sacrifice and Discipline

New Costa Rica head coach Fernando Batista pledged hard work, sacrifice and strict discipline as he begins his mission to qualify the national team for the 2030 World Cup. The 55-year-old Argentine took over after the federation fired Mexican coach Miguel “Piojo” Herrera in November. Herrera left following Costa Rica’s failure to reach the 2026 World Cup in North America.

Costa Rica holds the record for most World Cup appearances among Central American teams with six. Its strongest performance came in Brazil 2014, when it advanced to the quarterfinals after topping a group that included England and Italy and then defeating Greece in the round of 16.

“What I do promise is a lot of work, a lot of sacrifice,” Batista said at his official presentation. “My coaching staff and I do not negotiate on discipline, values and conduct because not just anyone wears this national team jersey, and that badge has to be respected.” He made clear that qualification to the 2030 World Cup stands as the main target, although he acknowledged several challenges ahead.

Batista stressed that the team starts from zero. He plans to open the door to both young players and experienced veterans. That includes goalkeeper Keylor Navas, one of the stars of the 2014 campaign and a three-time Champions League winner with Real Madrid.

“Keylor is a great professional,” Batista said. “At some point I will speak with him because he deserves my respect for his career and for everything he did, not only personally but also for the national team.” The coach favors a gradual transition instead of sudden changes. He believes players must arrive ready for the national team.

Batista, who previously coached Argentina’s youth teams, wants to build an intense side that controls games on any pitch and in any country. He demands players who make good decisions regardless of the tactical system. Costa Rica also reported that the federation also considered Dutch coach Patrick Kluivert and Spaniard Robert Moreno before selecting Batista.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Under Orange Alert as Caribbean Ground Reaches Saturation

Updated Monday at 11:40 a.m. Route 32 has reopened. The Río Chirripó bridge on Route 4 is closed. The ground across the Caribbean can no...

Costa Rica Weekend Forecast Calls for Rain and Thunderstorms

Unfortunately, the break in the rain won't last. Costa Rica's National Meteorological Institute expects instability to build over the weekend, and Saturday is shaping...

Argentine Thiago Tirante Extends Dream Cincinnati Run Into Quarterfinals

Thiago Agustín Tirante’s breakthrough week at the Cincinnati Open continued Wednesday as the Argentine rallied past Jakub Mensik to reach the first ATP Masters...

General Cañas Highway Lane Closures Begin Monday in Costa Rica

Drivers using the General Cañas Highway between Alajuela and San José should prepare for additional congestion beginning Monday as crews carry out eight days...

Nurses Strike at Hospital México After Staffing Talks Collapse

More than 180 nurses walked out at one of Costa Rica's three national referral hospitals after talks with the CCSS ended without agreement.

More than 900 Costa Rican schools have no classes this Monday

If your child goes to school in Turrialba, Sarapiquí, Limón or Sulá, there are no classes today. Those four areas are closed in full,...

Costa Rica Court Targets Illegal Land Use at Playa Dominical

Costa Rica’s Constitutional Court has ordered the Municipality of Osa to do more to remove unapproved businesses and makeshift structures from public beachfront land...

Costa Rica Moves Immigration Applications Online for Some Foreign Executives

Costa Rica has moved several immigration procedures for foreign executives and their families online, allowing eligible applicants to complete and track the process through...

Route 32 shut again with a reopening decision due this morning

Route 32 between the Central Valley and Limón remained closed early Tuesday pending a MOPT inspection. What the detours look like and why the slopes keep failing.
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel