No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsTop Tennis Stars Slam Anti-Doping System After Sinner Case

Top Tennis Stars Slam Anti-Doping System After Sinner Case

World number five Jessica Pegula believes the handling of high-profile doping cases involving Jannick Sinner and Iga Swiatek has shown that the “process is completely broken”. And top-ranked Aryna Sabalenka admits she cannot trust the tennis anti-doping system and has become “too scared” of it.

Sinner’s long doping saga came to an end on Saturday after he agreed to a three-month ban from tennis, the world number one admitting “partial responsibility” for team mistakes which led to him twice testing positive for traces of clostebol in March last year. Sinner was facing a potential ban of two years after the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against his initial exoneration by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA), announced in August.

In a surprising move, WADA withdrew its appeal and came to an agreement with Sinner to accept a three-month ban. In a statement, WADA said “Sinner did not intend to cheat” but would serve his suspension as he is responsible for the actions of his entourage. Swiatek accepted a one-month ban after testing positive for the banned heart drug trimetazidine (TMZ) late last year.

The 23-year-old Pole had pulled out of the WTA’s Asian swing in September-October citing “personal matters”. Pegula, last year’s US Open finalist and a member of the WTA Players’ Council, said the inconsistencies in the way cases are being processed and judged is creating an unfair environment for all tennis players.

“I think my reaction is that, whether you think he did or you don’t, or whatever side you’re on, the process just seems to be completely not a process,” the American told reporters in Dubai on Sunday. “It seems to just be whatever decisions and factors they take into consideration, and they just make up their own ruling. 

“I don’t really understand how that’s fair for players when there’s just so much inconsistency and you have no idea.” Pegula added that any emails the players have been receiving regarding anti-doping cases contain explanations that are too easy to come up with and are just ways for anti-doping organizations to justify their inconsistent rulings and processes.

“If you’re clean or not, the process is completely broken,” she stated. “I think it needs to be seriously looked at and considered. “I feel like they have so much power to ruin someone’s career, as well. I think there needs to be something done about that because it just seems really unfair. “I don’t think any of the players trust the process at all right now. Zero. It’s just a horrible look for the sport.”

Too scared: Sabalenka

Sabalenka refused to comment on the outcome of the Sinner case but says she has become too wary of falling foul to the sport’s strict anti-doping rules. “You just start to be more careful. For example, before I wouldn’t care about leaving my glass of water and go to the bathroom in a restaurant. Now, I’m not going to drink from the same glass of water,” said the Belarusian world number one.

“You just become a bit more aware of stuff and this thing gets to your head that, like, if someone used a cream on you and you test positive, they’re going to go for you and they’re not going to believe you or anything. “You just become too scared of the system. I don’t see how I can trust the system.”

American world number three Coco Gauff has not paid much attention to the details of the recent anti-doping cases and is instead sticking to her strategy of avoiding taking any supplements to minimize the risk of testing positive for any banned substance. “I trust that everyone is doing what they can to protect the sport. As a player, that’s all I can hope for,” said the former US Open champion.

“I just hope it’s more for the protection of the sport and not just out to, like, get players.”

Trending Now

Costa Rica’s president-elect takes cabinet post to manage transition

Costa Rica’s president-elect, right-wing politician Laura Fernández, was sworn in on Wednesday as chief of staff to organize the transfer of power, an unprecedented...

Route 32 Reopens in Costa Rica with Traffic Controls at Key Slide Zone

Route 32 reopened Wednesday morning under regulated passage at kilometer 48, a spot hard hit by repeated slides from heavy rains. The Ministry of...

How to Watch the Super Bowl in Costa Rica

Costa Rica has always been a soccer-first country, where passions run deepest for fútbol and La Sele. Yet over the past decade-plus, the Super...

Costa Rica Starts Pilot Program for Preschool Education

The Ministry of Public Education (MEP) has rolled out a pilot program that allows some three-year-old children to begin preschool this year. The move...

Costa Rica’s Route 32 Closed After New Landslide as Cold Front Triggers Emergencies

Authorities closed Route 32 again on Friday afternoon after a fresh landslide hit the highway, disrupting travel between the Greater Metropolitan Area and the...

Venezuelan opposition leader returns to prison hours after his release

Juan Pablo Guanipa was free for less than 12 hours. The Venezuelan opposition leader returned to prison after a brief release, which he used...
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel

Latest News from Costa Rica