• Costa Rica Coffee Guide
  • Squaremouth travel insurance button 468x106
  • Tico Travel Surfing
  • Costa Rica Real Estate

Costa Rica dismantles a trafficking network of Cuban migrants

February 25, 2020

Costa Rican authorities dismantled on Tuesday a network dedicated to the trafficking of Cuban migrants entering from Panama and intending to reach the United States or Mexico, the Directorate of Migration reported.

The network, run by Costa Ricans, charged about $400 to move Cubans from the border with Panama to Nicaragua, and $1,000 to $2,000 to continue to the United States.

Ramón Quirós, known as “El Mago”, the alleged leader of the organization, was arrested in southern Costa Rica, and several of his collaborators were arrested in the cities of Puntarenas, in the Central Pacific, and La Cruz, on the border with Nicaragua.

“The Cubans entered Panama legally, as tourists, and subsequently entered Costa Rica where the criminal organization housed them and moved them north on previously established routes to Mexico and the United States,” said Stephen Madden, director of the immigration police

The network mobilized migrants in private vehicles or public transport through different parts of the Costa Rican territory, where they were temporarily housed, until they were taken to Nicaragua by unregulated border accesses, the Migration Directorate said in a statement.

The investigation, initiated in 2018, allowed the identification of 28 Cubans transported through the network, although immigration authorities estimate that the total number of people affected would be much higher.

The detainees in the operation were handed over to the Prosecutor’s Office, which must determine whether it will raise criminal charges against them for trafficking in persons.

You may be interested

Costa Rica surpasses 400 known cases of coronavirus; 22 hospitalized, 11 recovered
Costa Rica
9120 views
Costa Rica
9120 views

Costa Rica surpasses 400 known cases of coronavirus; 22 hospitalized, 11 recovered

Alejandro Zúñiga - April 3, 2020

Costa Rica has confirmed 416 total cases of the novel coronavirus, the Health Ministry announced Friday afternoon. The figure marks…

News briefs: Residents can leave Costa Rica without losing status
Costa Rica
2353 views
Costa Rica
2353 views

News briefs: Residents can leave Costa Rica without losing status

Alejandro Zúñiga - April 3, 2020

The coronavirus pandemic has impacted daily life in Costa Rica, which has declared a State of Emergency and enacted sweeping…

Costa Rica confirms 21 new coronavirus cases
Costa Rica
8980 views
Costa Rica
8980 views

Costa Rica confirms 21 new coronavirus cases

Alejandro Zúñiga - April 2, 2020

Costa Rica has confirmed 396 cases of the novel coronavirus, the Health Ministry announced Thursday afternoon. The figure marks a…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!