These were the most popular Google searches in Costa Rica this year
Google has just released its Year in Search 2019, where it recaps the most popular searches on the internet giant.
Here’s what was trending in 2019 for Costa Ricans, along with a short explanation for each search:
- Copa América: The South American soccer tournament was hosted by Brazil in June and July. The host nations won the event with a 3-1 victory over Peru.
- Marchamo Costa Rica: On Nov. 1, Costa Rica’s INS began collecting payments for 2020 mandatory vehicle circulation permits, or marchamos. More info here.
- Copa Oro: A soccer tournament featuring teams from North America, Central America and the Caribbean. The 2019 Gold Cup was won by Mexico, and Costa Rica lost in the quarterfinals.
- Thanos: A fictional villain appearing in the Marvel universe.
- Claudio Bravo Camus: A Chilean-born artist who, according to his 2011 obituary in the New York Times, blended hyperrealism and classical Spanish influences. He was featured as a Google Doodle in November.
The top-searched event of 2019 was the Copa América, while Ticos were particularly enamored by the following TV series: “Stranger Things,” “Game of Thrones,” and “Chernobyl.”
Costa Ricans also asked a lot of good questions in 2019. Among them were:
- What is autism?
- How do you make an introduction?
- What does TBT mean?
- What is dual education?
- What is methanol?
Here’s to another year of questions and answers in 2020!
You may be interested
Mike Pompeo warns Costa Rica about economic ties with ChinaAlejandro Zúñiga - January 21, 2020
During a press conference following Tuesday's meeting with President Carlos Alvarado, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo urged Costa Rica…
President Alvarado asks U.S. Secretary of State to review Costa Rica travel advisory, FAA certificationAlejandro Zúñiga - January 21, 2020
President Carlos Alvarado asked U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Tuesday to review the North American country's travel advisory…
‘No evidence’ Maduro willing to hold free elections, Pompeo says in Costa RicaAFP - January 21, 2020
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Tuesday that despite numerous contacts with foreign officials in recent months, there's no…