These were the most popular Google searches in Costa Rica this year
Google has just released its Year in Search 2019, where it recaps the most popular searches on the internet giant.
Here’s what was trending in 2019 for Costa Ricans, along with a short explanation for each search:
- Copa América: The South American soccer tournament was hosted by Brazil in June and July. The host nations won the event with a 3-1 victory over Peru.
- Marchamo Costa Rica: On Nov. 1, Costa Rica’s INS began collecting payments for 2020 mandatory vehicle circulation permits, or marchamos. More info here.
- Copa Oro: A soccer tournament featuring teams from North America, Central America and the Caribbean. The 2019 Gold Cup was won by Mexico, and Costa Rica lost in the quarterfinals.
- Thanos: A fictional villain appearing in the Marvel universe.
- Claudio Bravo Camus: A Chilean-born artist who, according to his 2011 obituary in the New York Times, blended hyperrealism and classical Spanish influences. He was featured as a Google Doodle in November.
The top-searched event of 2019 was the Copa América, while Ticos were particularly enamored by the following TV series: “Stranger Things,” “Game of Thrones,” and “Chernobyl.”
Costa Ricans also asked a lot of good questions in 2019. Among them were:
- What is autism?
- How do you make an introduction?
- What does TBT mean?
- What is dual education?
- What is methanol?
Here’s to another year of questions and answers in 2020!
You may be interested
News briefs: Fire set outside coronavirus shelter for indigenous peopleAlejandro Zúñiga - July 15, 2020
The coronavirus crisis has transformed life in Costa Rica, which has enacted measures to protect the capacity of its health…
Costa Rica passes law against racism and violence in stadiumsAFP - July 15, 2020
Costa Rica's Legislative Assembly on Tuesday approved a law that punishes violence and manifestations of racism and xenophobia in sports…
Costa Rica approves law punishing street sexual harassment with jail and finesAFP and The Tico Times - July 14, 2020
Costa Rica's Legislative Assembly on Tuesday passed a law that criminalizes street sexual harassment and punishes it with prison terms…