Costa Rica Coffee Guide

Costa Rican companies expect to increase production, not jobs

March 11, 2013

A study released Monday by the Costa Rican Chamber of Industries of 200 local firms found that 65.7 percent expect to increase production in 2013, while only 6.3 percent expect to produce less.

Despite the optimistic outlooks, the study shows a decrease in job creation compared to the previous year. The results indicate that 60.7 percent expect to maintain their payroll as is, while 28.3 percent plan to increase it and 6.3 percent are considering layoffs.

Regarding investment plans for this year, 56 percent of companies responded that they planned to invest, but most will spend on machinery and equipment for less than $100,000.

The country’s largest firms are less positive, and factors they say will affect competitiveness include electricity costs, exchange rate instability, high employee benefits costs and competition from informal companies. They also cited excessive bureaucracy, poor access to bank credit and high raw material costs.

Regarding 2012, 75 percent of companies surveyed thought it was a “relatively good” year, while the remaining 25 percent considered it a modest year.

You may be interested

Panama says it will enable ‘abandoned’ hospital for Covid-19
Latin America
1465 views
Latin America
1465 views

Panama says it will enable ‘abandoned’ hospital for Covid-19

AFP - September 22, 2020

The Panamanian government said Monday it will enable an unfinished hospital to care for Covid-19 patients. The hospital's construction, the…

Costa Rica coronavirus updates for Monday, September 21
Costa Rica
5443 views
Costa Rica
5443 views

Costa Rica coronavirus updates for Monday, September 21

Alejandro Zúñiga - September 21, 2020

Costa Rica announced 59 new coronavirus-related deaths since Friday for a total of 745, according to official data released Monday…

President of Legislative Assembly doesn’t see viability of Costa Rica’s IMF proposal
Costa Rica
811 views
Costa Rica
811 views

President of Legislative Assembly doesn’t see viability of Costa Rica’s IMF proposal

Alejandro Zúñiga - September 21, 2020

The president of Costa Rica's Legislative Assembly expressed his displeasure with the Presidency's fiscal measures that are intended to help…