No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveAlcatel trial postponed

Alcatel trial postponed

Conclusions in the case of former President Miguel Angel Rodríguez were postponed on Monday after attorneys introduced evidence from Alcatel-Lucent court proceedings in the U.S.

The court is now awaiting translation of the Dec. 27 Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) settlement in Florida, which shows that Alcatel wired more than $14.5 million into Costa Rica through offshore bank accounts. Nearly a half of the money went towards paying off government officials in the negotiations of a telecommunications contract.

Rodríguez (1998-2002), who was near the end of his four-year term at the time of the negotiations, is one of several government officials accused of accepting bribes (see letter above). According to the settlement, other officials who have allegedly accepted bribes include Costa Rican Electricity Institute authorities (more than $6 million), a presidential candidate  in the 2002 elections ($100,000) and a Social Christian Unity Party (PUSC) leader then in the Legislative Assembly ($550,000).   

The negotiations overlapped the 2002 election year in which Rolando Araya of the National Liberation Party (PLN) challenged PUSC candidate Abel Pacheco. After news surfaced about a $100,000 donation by Alcatel to a presidential campaign in Oct. 2004, PLN leaders initiated an internal investigation into Araya’s campaign. Rolando Araya, brother of San José Mayor Johnny Araya, claimed that he never accepted the donation. He has since left the PLN.

Former President Abel Pacheco admitted that his presidential campaign received a donation of $100,000 from Alcatel, according an EFE wire story published Sept. 28, 2004. 

“[Alcatel officials] told me that they only asked for fair treatment,” Pacheco told EFE. “I told them that fairness did not require giving money to the campaign, but they said they wanted to contribute to democracy.”

Rodriguez is not the only president in Costa Rican history to stand trial. Former president Rafael Angel Calderón (1990-1994) appeared before judges in Oct. 2009, was sentenced to five years in prison and ordered to pay a $500,000 fine for an unrelated case. His attorneys appealed and a final ruling is pending.

Trending Now

Paulo Wanchope expected back at Herediano for a third spell in charge

The former Manchester City and West Ham striker is reported to be closing an agreement to take over at Herediano, a job he has held twice before. The club has not announced it.

Costa Rica’s Wild Capuchin Monkeys Are Using AI Touchscreens

Wild white-faced capuchin monkeys in Costa Rica are learning to use a touchscreen in the middle of the forest, giving researchers a new way...

Fernández Tours Flooded Limón as Pressure Builds for an Emergency Declaration

Fernández toured flooded Limón on Monday as a legislator pressed for a formal emergency declaration for the Caribbean.

Costa Rican Surfers Chase a Home Title as WSL Finals Day Runs at Playa Hermosa

The quarterfinals, semifinals and final of the Garabito Surf City Pro all run Sunday at Playa Hermosa, with Leilani McGonagle carrying the strongest Costa Rican result into the closing rounds.

Costa Rica Beach Overwhelmed by Trash Flowing Down Tárcoles River

A Pacific beach with the potential to attract tourists has instead become one of the clearest examples of Costa Rica’s struggle with waste, as...

More than 900 Costa Rican schools have no classes this Monday

If your child goes to school in Turrialba, Sarapiquí, Limón or Sulá, there are no classes today. Those four areas are closed in full,...

Missing Hiker Found Alive After Four Days in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

A 58-year-old Costa Rican hiker who had been missing for four days inside Chirripó National Park was found alive this morning, ending an extensive...

Costa Rica Opens Eight-Lane Circunvalación Bridge in San José

All eight lanes of the Circunvalación bridge over the María Aguilar River reopened yesterday, restoring normal traffic on one of San José’s busiest highways...

Costa Rica flood emergency keeps 473 schools closed and 1,300 people in shelters

The rain has eased but saturated ground keeps the risk high across the Caribbean and Northern Zone. Here is what is closed, what is reachable and what to check before you drive.
Avatar
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel