The man coordinating the $87 million redevelopment project in Costa Rica’s Caribbean port city of Limón has been tapped to replace Karla González as minister of Public Works and Transport (MOPT).
González stepped down last week, following a bridge collapse that killed five people in Costa Rica’s central Pacific region.
Marco Vargas, minister of inter-institutional coordination, picks up where González left off, President Oscar Arias said Tuesday at the inauguration event of a new business in Alajuela, northwest of San José.
“He has been close to the ministry in the past,” Arias said. “In fact, he was very close with the former minister, so he is very familiar with the issues of infrastructure and transportation.”
Vargas, 61, has over 25 years of experience in the private sector and has headed various governmental ministries. He will continue to lead the project in Limón, but he will divide his time between the positions.
Arias said Vargas will choose his own vice minister because “the idea is that he feel comfortable with the people he works with.”
Vargas steps in after González’ dramatic departure from her post. “The truth, pure and simple, is that today, explanations – even the most logical and rational ones – are no good because it would aggravate the pain of many and serve the interest of only a political few.
I sympathize with the feelings of anger against the state and against MOPT that failed them.”
For an English translation of González’ resignation letter, visit ticotimes.net.