Prosecutors Request Figueres Corruption Case Dismissed
State prosecutors have requested that a corruption probe against ex-President José María Figueres (1994-1998) be dismissed for lack of evidence.
Since 2004, state prosecutors have been investigating Figueres for allegedly receiving $900,000 from the French telecom giant Alcatel, which was awarded a $149 million contract to operate cell phone lines here.
Judicial Branch spokesman Fabian Barrantes said state prosecutors requested last week that the financial branch of the country’s criminal court dismiss the case, though the court has yet to decide whether it will do so.
Figueres, who has been living in Switzerland since 2004, has maintained that he received the money legally for consulting services, though he hasn’t come to the country to appear for questioning in the investigation (TT, Oct. 29, Nov. 5 2004).
Figueres’ attorney Mario Soto told the daily La Nación that Figueres plans to return to the country early next year. He said Figueres hadn’t returned since the case opened because he didn’t want to expose himself to attacks from his political foes here.
You may be interested
Costa Rica coronavirus updates for July 15, 2020Alejandro Zúñiga - July 15, 2020
Costa Rica confirmed 504 new cases of the coronavirus over the past day, totaling 8,986 cumulative known cases, the Health…
News briefs: Fire set outside coronavirus shelter for indigenous peopleAlejandro Zúñiga - July 15, 2020
The coronavirus crisis has transformed life in Costa Rica, which has enacted measures to protect the capacity of its health…
Costa Rica passes law against racism and violence in stadiumsAFP - July 15, 2020
Costa Rica's Legislative Assembly on Tuesday approved a law that punishes violence and manifestations of racism and xenophobia in sports…