No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveBush Sends CAFTA to Divided U.S. Congress

Bush Sends CAFTA to Divided U.S. Congress

U.S. President George W. Bush sent thecontroversial Central American Free-TradeAgreement with the United States (CAFTA)to the U.S. Congress yesterday. Meanwhile,a dispute about whether individual states canrefuse to participate in certain aspects of thepact has not been resolved.The U.S. Embassy in San José forwardeda statement from the U.S. TradeRepresentative (USTR) late yesterday sayingBush had submitted the trade pact. Atpress time, Costa Rican officials had notreacted publicly.Now that Bush has submitted CAFTA,Congress will have 90 business days to discussand vote on the agreement. Legislatorsmay not make amendments to the text of thepact, signed last year by the United States,Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras,Nicaragua, Costa Rica and the DominicanRepublic. Only the legislatures of Guatemala,El Salvador and Honduras have ratified theagreement to date.Meanwhile, leaders in the U.S. state ofMaryland are pressuring their governor,Robert L. Ehrlich Jr., to withdraw the statefrom a section of the pact that would allowany CAFTA member country to bid on statecontracts.The state legislators maintain a law theypassed earlier this year requires thatMaryland be removed as a signatory on thisaspect of the pact, and prohibits the governorfrom entering into trade agreements withoutthe legislature’s permission, according toMaryland daily The Baltimore Sun.FOLLOWING pressure from CongressmanBen Cardin, a Maryland Democrat,the USTR promised it would consultwith other CAFTA signatory countriesregarding whether Maryland could beremoved from the clause, Sun reporterAndrew Green told The Tico Times thisweek.USTR spokeswoman Neena Moorjanitold The Tico Times in a phone interviewTuesday that she could not comment onthe issue because representatives of theoffice were still discussing it with otherCAFTA countries.Last week, congressional “mockvotes” – which many said Bush would useto help determine whether, and how soon,to send CAFTA to Congress – producedvictories for CAFTA in the SenateFinance Committee (11-9) and the HouseWays & Means Committee (25-16), thetwo committees responsible for examiningCAFTA (TT, June 17).Legislators opposed to CAFTA continueto express their dissent, however, andthe votes required for its passage inCongress are far from assured.In a June 14 letter to the Presidents of allthe signatory countries, 23 U.S. legislators,along with one each from Honduras and Guatemalaand two each from El Salvador andNicaragua, called the agreement “seriouslyflawed” and demanded its renegotiation.“WE encourage and commit to aninter-parliamentary dialogue that wouldexplore trade options and economic relationstowards the goals of livable-wagejobs, sustainable development and CentralAmerican integration, environmental protections,and supporting democracy for allparties involved,” the letter said.Costa Rican presidential candidate andCAFTA opponent Ottón Solís, of the CitizenAction Party (PAC), got in on the letter-writing action this week by penning anepistle to U.S. Secretary of StateCondoleeza Rice.“CAFTA, Dr. Rice, must be renegotiated– among other reasons, because (the agreement)as it stands is a serious attack on thedemocratic system,” the letter said. “Theexcessive guarantees it gives to investors,beyond the absolute protection for propertyrights – which we all agree upon – willimpede putting into practice… developmentpolicies and regulations, no matter howdemocratically they are constructed.”Solís also said in the letter that CAFTAwould place severe restrictions on CostaRica’s ability to pass future laws. In CostaRica, unlike the United States, internationaltreaties such as CAFTA take precedenceover all other laws, with a power secondonly to that of the Constitution.PAC members also targeted pro-CAFTAlobbying group Por Costa Rica this week,criticizing the organization’s apparent slownessto disclose its funding sources.Legislators from PAC said they havenot received a response to their May 27request that Por Costa Rica, which has purchasedtelevision, radio and print ads toutingthe benefits of CAFTA and urging itsapproval, reveal the names of people andbusinesses that have contributed funds.“We’re sending a new request to thegroup inviting them to take the path of transparencyand clarify their financing,” PAClegislator Martha Zamora said in a statementJune 17. “CAFTA is too delicate an issue tobe hiding the identities of people interestedin promoting a certain tendency.”By press time, Por Costa Rica representativeshad not responded to Tico Times phonecalls regarding the criticisms from PAC.

Trending Now

The Unexpected Reason Some Travelers May Prefer Costa Rica

My friend Tomas has worked most of his life in one kind of tourism or another. He’s 100 percent Tico but spent many years...

Costa Rica Wildlife Study Records 79 Species at Reserva Conchal

A year-long wildlife study at Reserva Conchal in Guanacaste documented 79 species of mammals, birds and reptiles, nearly double the 40 recorded during the...

Rescue Center Raises $20,000 to Stop Wildlife Electrocutions

The Jaguar Rescue Center has finished a fundraising campaign with the organization Ma Earth that raised $20,000 to insulate 50 electrical transformers in Costa...

World Surf League Returns to Costa Rica at Playa Hermosa

Professional surfing returns to Costa Rica’s international stage today as the Garabito Surf City PRO 2026 gets underway at Playa Hermosa, bringing an official...

Costa Rica’s Route 32 Reopens After a Morning Landslide Shuts the Highway

Route 32 closed for about four hours Saturday morning after material fell on the San José-Limón highway. Here are the alternates and why the road can shut again.

How to watch Serena and Venus Williams play doubles in Costa Rica today

Serena and Venus Williams play doubles at the Cincinnati Open tonight at 5 p.m. Costa Rica time. Here is where to watch it and what to avoid.

Missing Hiker Found Alive After Four Days in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

A 58-year-old Costa Rican hiker who had been missing for four days inside Chirripó National Park was found alive this morning, ending an extensive...

Costa Rica Seals Security Contracts as “Operation Pegasus” Remark Goes Unexplained

A decree in force since August 10 seals Costa Rican security records including procurement files, as a governing-party lawmaker's unexplained "Operation Pegasus" remark sharpens the dispute.

Costa Rica Opens Eight-Lane Circunvalación Bridge in San José

All eight lanes of the Circunvalación bridge over the María Aguilar River reopened yesterday, restoring normal traffic on one of San José’s busiest highways...
Avatar
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel