Retire to an Active 55+ Community in Costa Rica: Jardin La Torre, San Ramon de Alajuela
Why San Ramon?
You’ve done your due diligence and decided living in Costa Rica might be for you. Like many places in Costa Rica, San Ramon de Alajuela is a special place. Here are the attributes which make San Ramon an excellent choice:
- Mild year-round temperatures. San Ramon rarely sees temperatures above 85 degrees or below 65 degrees 365 days of the year.
- Ruta (Route) 1, the international highway, runs right by San Ramon, linking San Jose to Panama, the Pacific Ocean, and Nicaragua. San Ramon is 40 minutes from San Jose’s Juan Santamaria International Airport, one-hour to downtown San Jose, and an hour drive to the beach.
- Excellent Medical Services. San Ramon has its own hospital, along with clinics, world-class dentists, specialists, and pharmacies.
- Thriving commercial center. San Ramon supports a population of over 60,000–a mid-sized city in the Central Valley with a small-town feel. It boasts excellent restaurants, upscale stores, and a shopping mall with big-screen cinema complex.
- San Ramon is a major cultural center with the University of Costa Rica, San Ramon, campus, Jose Figueres Cultural Center, museum, and public music school with over 300 students.
- Social Life. In San Ramon, you will find community chorus, exercise and dance classes, Spanish lessons, concerts, and more
- Physical Activities. Pickleball, tennis, dancing, Pilates, yoga, public and private gyms, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, hiking, biking, basketball, and more.
- A large, organized expat community. San Ramon supports many expat organizations like the Community Action Alliance, Vientos Bajos Activity Center, Thursday Coffee at Delicias, Hacienda Vivace, and The Codger, a monthly e-newsletter.
- Commercial Transportation. In addition to many taxis and Uber service, San Ramon is linked to efficient, inexpensive, local, regional, and national-access bus systems.
Why Jardin La Torre (JLT)?
Jardin La Torre and its activities center complement, Vientos Bajos, is a gated and secured community for retired 55 + active expats. Here is some of what you will find at JLT:
- Security and Maintenance. 24/7 on-site.
- Panoramic Views. Located on the west slope of the most western cordillera, JLT has phenomenal 50+ mile coastline views with sunsets from every residential unit.
- JLT is one mile from the Bernardo Soto International Highway (Route 1), and 11 minutes from downtown San Ramon de Alajuela.
- At 3800 feet altitude, JLT boasts temperatures between 60-85 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pastoral setting. Located in unincorporated El Empalme, JLT is part of a tranquil, pastoral setting.
- Immediate access to exercise. The JLT grounds provide outdoor walking paths and local hiking, and across the street, JLT offers immediate access to the Vientos Bajos sports court (basketball/pickleball); activities; events; diverse classes/ groups/clubs; book, DVD, and CD libraries.
- Local ownership.The owners live on the property
Jardin La Torre is a campus for retired active 55+ expats with 25 living units. We offer six houses, a duplex, and 13 residential lots for sale; and five upscale ADA accessible apartments for rent.
- 50+ mile panoramic views of the Pacific coastline and the Gulf of Nicoya.
- Pet Friendly
- Adjacent to Jardin La Torre and easy access to Vientos Bajos Activities Center
- Two-bedroom houses, one duplex. Prices begin at $120,000.
- Rent to buy
- Furnished or unfurnished
Vista Alta Subdivision–Residential Lots for Sale:
- All lots include access to potable water, electricity, septic system, asphalt drive access, 24-hour security, access to Vientos Bajos Activities Center.
- Minimum lot size is 230 square meters
- Pricing from $50,000 USD
- Paved streets with street lights and curb and guttering
Rental Apartments (Vientos Bajos):
- Rental apartments begin at $900/month
- One and two-bedroom
- All utilities included
- Fully furnished
The Rest of the Story:
When my wife and I moved to Costa Rica in 2011, we looked for and found what we couldn’t find in the United States– year-round perfect temperatures between 60 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. We were looking for something away from city life, but with quick and easy access to shopping, culture, beaches, and medical care if and when necessary; friendly neighbors; an expat support system to make transition from North America much easier; panoramic ocean views; and a surrounding of nature. We found it all just outside San Ramon.
Then we built what we didn’t find when we arrived: a small community/campus for 55+ active, retired expats, with social, cultural, and physical activities and events–and a place to hold them. We are not an isolated community with no interaction with Costa Ricans. However, we have created a campus with accessibility to social, cultural, and physical activities focused on our age group. This may be what you’ve been looking for.
Please Note: This property was designed with the active retiree in mind. Although the activities center and apartments are ADA accessible, some of the houses and garden paths are not.
“As retirees, we´ve lived in CR for 7 years searching for the ideal retirement spot…This is it; magnificent ocean and mountain views, great activities center and wonderful people sharing an arboretum like setting.”
Rick R, current tenant at Jardin La Torre.
“My husband and I retired in Costa Rica 6 years ago, and moved to El Empalme a little over three years ago. We discovered the Vientos Bajos center, located across the street from El Jardín Torre campus, where we learned to play pickleball. We also enjoy various activities such as a the library, DVD and CD exchange, as well as a gym to work out. W now live in one of the beautiful homes in El Jardín La Torre, so now we have it all! Panoramic views from high on the hill (including amazing sunsets) and the active lifestyle we wanted for our retirement. Kim C.
Sunny and I have been here in gorgeous San Ramon for 7 months and we love it. We were welcomed like extended family and our community here is wonderful. The view from my patio as well is beautiful and my apartment is just the right size for me and Sunny. There are activities going on each day and our community walk is fun. This is paradise. Janine and Sunny
Name: John or Caryl Buford
US: 815-669-6701. Costa Rica: 506 8649-0777
- Country: Costa Rica
- Property ID 147397
- Price Price on call
- Property Type House
- Label For Rent, FSBO, Residencial