No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsCrimeCosta Rica's Solís silent on accepting Guantánamo detainees

Costa Rica’s Solís silent on accepting Guantánamo detainees

President Luis Guillermo Solís said he has not considered a request to accept detainees from the detention camp at the U.S. Naval Base in Guantánamo, Cuba. The Organization of American States (OAS) is urging Latin American countries to accept detainees from the controversial detention facility.

Solís gave no firm answer either way on whether or not he was willing to accept any of the detainees.

“I’ve not considered the topic nor have I received a specific invitation from the secretary about the matter,” Solís told The Tico Times during his weekly press conference Tuesday afternoon.

There are 149 inmates still at the prison on the eastern tip of Cuba, set up under former president George W. Bush after the September 11 terrorist attacks in 2001. So far 79 prisoners have been approved for transfer, either to their home country or another country that agrees to take them, noted OAS chief Secretary General José Miguel Insulza in an official declaration published on the OAS site.

In a press release, Insulza requested that Latin American countries take on current detainees:

“I request respectfully that those countries that can do so, in a manner consistent with their national policies and their internal legal framework, consider receiving people currently detained in Guantánamo, in order to allow them to resume their lives following their prolonged detention.”

This is not the first time that the subject of receiving Guantánamo detainees has come up  in Costa Rica. The Laura Chinchilla administration (2010-2014) previously engaged in diplomatic talks with the United States about accepting Guantánamo detainees. Then-Foreign Minister Enrique Castillo told The Tico Times in an email:

There were conversations at the diplomatic level about the intentions of the government of the United States of America to complete the process of closing the Guantánamo Detention Center, to which Costa Rica explored the possibility to take one or several of the detainees from that center. However, Costa Rica ruled out this possibility even though it welcomes the efforts of the U.S. government to close the facility.

President Barack Obama notably declared that the detention center would be closed by the end of 2009, his first year in office.  But any efforts to transfer the detainees have stalled plans to close the facility.

So far, only Uruguay has agreed to take Guantánamo detainees, pledging to welcome six inmates, but the South American nation says no date for the transfer has been set. Chile has indicated it was considering taking in prisoners.

AFP contributed to this report.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Study Examines How Water-Resistant Sunscreen Affects Body Heat

Some water-resistant sunscreens may slightly reduce the body’s ability to cool itself during prolonged exercise in hot conditions, according to research conducted at the...

Costa Rica Wildlife Study Records 79 Species at Reserva Conchal

A year-long wildlife study at Reserva Conchal in Guanacaste documented 79 species of mammals, birds and reptiles, nearly double the 40 recorded during the...

Corcovado National Park Placed on Red Alert Over Sewage and Crumbling Infrastructure

A coalition of Costa Rican environmental organizations has placed Corcovado National Park under what it calls a red alert, warning that sewage discharges, decaying...

Guanacaste Airport Outpaces Costa Rica’s Main Airport

Costa Rica welcomed more than 2 million international tourists during the first seven months of 2026, but the clearest sign of change was not...

Costa Rica Hands Macho Coca and Compadre to US Agents in New York Cases

Costa Rica surrendered two men wanted on United States drug trafficking charges to American agents on this morning, closing extradition proceedings that had run...

El Niño Deepens Costa Rica’s Divide Between Drought and Heavy Rain

Costa Rica is experiencing two sharply different rainy seasons at once, with a growing drought across the Pacific side and Central Valley while unusually...

Costa Rica Audit Finds 157 Unfinished Works and Safety Risks on Route 32

A new technical audit of the Route 32 expansion has identified 157 unfinished works, unstable slopes and road-safety problems along the highway connecting central...

Nicaragua Bishop Abelardo Mata Says He Is Well After Detention

Catholic Bishop Abelardo Mata, a critic of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega, said he is in good condition in an interview broadcast Wednesday by the...

Costa Rica Raises Yellow Alert as Tropical Wave Arrives

If you are driving on the Caribbean side or through the Northern Zone today, check that your route is open before you leave the...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel