No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveDeath Toll Rises to 12 in Honduran Land Dispute

Death Toll Rises to 12 in Honduran Land Dispute

TEGUCIGALPA – The death toll of the massacre sparked last weekend by a land dispute in Honduras increased to 12 with the death of a 15-year-old boy, authorities announced.

Added to the 11 people killed Aug. 3 in Silin, in the Caribbean province of Colon, is Fernando Osorto, 15, who had been wounded during the incident but died three days later in the hospital, police officials said. The officials said that seven of the victims were relatives of National Police inspector Henry Osorto and that the other five worked on the family property, which a campesino group claimed is theirs.

Up to now Honduran authorities have not arrested anyone involved in the massacre, which occurred when about 300 campesinos armed with firearms and machetes surrounded the victims’ house and set it ablaze.

According to the local press, members of the Osorto family said that the campesinos’ action was “premeditated,” while campesino leaders said they were responding to an attack by armed men who then sought refuge in the house.

The 12 victims died from being shot, hacked with machetes or being burned to death in the fire. The dispute between campesinos and the family of inspector Osorto, who was assigned to the western province of Lempira, goes back several years.

The massacre occurred in Silin, some 600 kilometers northeast of Tegucigalpa, over a parcel of land on a large property that was home in the 1980s to a counterinsurgencytraining center for Salvadoran troops battling guerrillas in their own country.

Rafael Alegria, adviser to the Coordinating Council of Honduran Campesino Organizations, said the tragedy began with an attack on a nearby campesino settlement by armed men working for the Osortos. He said that when police “didn’t do anything” in response to the call for help, the campesinos took matters into their own hands and chased the assailants back to the Osorto home, where the gunmen took refuge.

“It appears the outraged campesinos did set fire to the home,” Alegria said, blaming the bloodshed on the government’s failure to resolve the land disputes in Silin.

Henry Osorto provided a different account of the events, saying that his family and their employees “were having lunch when 300 to 400 armed men attacked them.”

“The scene speaks for itself – the dead are in my house,” Osorto said.

–EFE

 

Trending Now

Costa Rica Coast Guard Corruption Scandal Tied to Drug Trafficking Case

A significant corruption scandal has exposed how Costa Rican Coast Guard officers accepted substantial bribes to facilitate international drug trafficking operations, revealing the extent...

Costa Rica’s Key Highway to Caribbean Remains Blocked by Slides

Authorities report that Route 32 stays shut down in the Zurquí sector as crews battle ongoing landslides triggered by heavy rains from cold front...

Popeyes Unveils Biggest Outlet in Costa Rica at Santa Ana Trade Center

Popeyes launched its biggest outlet today marking a key step in its local growth. The new spot sits in the Santa Ana Trade Center...

How to Watch the Super Bowl in Costa Rica

Costa Rica has always been a soccer-first country, where passions run deepest for fútbol and La Sele. Yet over the past decade-plus, the Super...

Nicaragua frees former military officer amid U.S. criticism over political prisoners

A military officer sentenced to 50 years in prison for “treason” in Nicaragua has been released at a time when the United States is...

Costa Rica’s Route 32 Closed After New Landslide as Cold Front Triggers Emergencies

Authorities closed Route 32 again on Friday afternoon after a fresh landslide hit the highway, disrupting travel between the Greater Metropolitan Area and the...
Avatar
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel

Latest News from Costa Rica