No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsOne-Lane Travel Returns to Costa Rica's Tárcoles Bridge

One-Lane Travel Returns to Costa Rica’s Tárcoles Bridge

Drivers heading along Route 34 should prepare for delays starting Monday, as traffic on the bridge over the Tárcoles River shifts back to one lane. The measure supports ongoing rehabilitation work on the structure, which connects key coastal areas. Authorities from the Executive Unit for the Tárcoles River Bridge Rehabilitation Project stated that the one-lane restriction begins February 23 and runs through March 27.

This allows crews to focus on the bridge’s superstructure, the area where vehicles and pedestrians cross. Peak hours may see backups, so travelers need to account for extra time. The project pauses restrictions during Holy Week to ease movement for locals and visitors. From March 28 to April 5, both lanes stay open, aiding tourism and commerce in the region.

Nighttime work adds another layer. Between March 15 and April 20, full closures of both lanes occur from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. for installing seismic isolators. These closures happen on select nights, not back-to-back, with exact dates shared closer to the time.

A short one-lane period follows in May. From May 4 to May 9, traffic reduces again to install a bridge joint, essential for the structure’s operation and strength. Officials released these details on January 23, giving a full month for drivers, businesses, and tourism operators to adjust plans.

The bridge, on the Costanera Sur, handles heavy flow between San José and Pacific spots like Jacó and Manuel Antonio. Rehabilitation stands at 61 percent complete, addressing seismic risks and wear from years of use. Funding comes from the Central American Bank for Economic Integration, with $6.73 million allocated under the Emergency Program for Comprehensive and Resilient Infrastructure Reconstruction. The effort aims to secure the bridge against earthquakes and extend its service life.

Travelers can check updates through the Ministry of Public Works and Transportation channels. Alternate routes, like Route 27, offer options but may add distance. This work follows earlier phases, including foundation repairs, now shifting to upper sections. Completion is set for mid-2026, promising smoother travel ahead.

Trending Now

Guatemala’s president says state of siege brought gangs under control

Guatemalan President Bernardo Arévalo said Sunday that the 30-day state of siege helped authorities regain control over gang activity after Barrio 18 members killed...

US Keeps Travel Warning for Guatemala After January Gang Attacks

The U.S. State Department keeps Guatemala at a Level 3 "Reconsider Travel" advisory due to crime. Officials issued the current version in late December...

Route 27 Sets Reversible Lanes for Sunday Return Traffic

Drivers heading back to the capital from the Pacific coast will see all lanes on Route 27 flow only toward San José this Sunday,...

Tourist arrivals to Costa Rica by air grew in January

Tourist arrivals to Costa Rica by air rose 10.3 percent in January 2026 compared to the same month last year, according to data released...

Costa Rica Leaders Head to Trump Summit for Security Boost

President Rodrigo Chaves and President-elect Laura Fernández plan to attend a high-level summit in Florida next month, hosted by U.S. President Donald Trump. The...

Trump says he will order release of information about extraterrestrials

U.S. President Donald Trump announced yesterday that he will order federal agencies to “identify and publish” government files related to extraterrestrials, something some Americans...
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel

Latest News from Costa Rica