No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsUK police arrest ex-prince Andrew in historic blow to royal family

UK police arrest ex-prince Andrew in historic blow to royal family

Britain’s former prince Andrew was arrested Thursday on suspicion of misconduct during his time as a trade envoy, as UK police investigations into allegations emerging from the Jeffrey Epstein files gathered pace. The arrest of a royal family member is unprecedented in Britain’s modern era, and within hours King Charles III issued a rare personally signed statement insisting “the law must take its course”.

It was a humiliating new blow for the ousted prince, who was last year stripped of his titles, and was marking his 66th birthday Thursday in custody. “I’m pleased … he deserves that,” lawyer Emma Carter, 55, told AFP in London. “He’s been hiding behind his privileges… for too many years.”

Police said they were also searching two properties, with the BBC reporting one was Andrew’s former home, Royal Lodge, on the monarchy’s Windsor estate west of London. The other was his residence since the start of this month on the king’s private Sandringham estate in Norfolk, eastern England, where his arrest occurred, according to British media.

Widely-published images showed a fleet of unmarked cars, believed to be police vehicles, arriving there early Thursday. “We have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office,” Thames Valley police said, without naming the suspect, as is common practice in the UK.

“The man remains in police custody at this time,” the force added. Andrew’s ties to convicted US sex offender Epstein have caused a spectacular years-long fall from grace. His arrest follows new revelations last week that the ex-prince appeared to have sent potentially confidential documents during his time as a UK trade envoy.

Concern

In a November 2010 email, Andrew appeared to share with Epstein reports on several Asian countries following an official visit to the region. The ex-royal, now known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, also allegedly sent the American financier details of the trip — on which he was accompanied by Epstein’s business associates — along with investment opportunities months later.

Charles last year stripped his brother of his titles and ordered he leave his Windsor mansion — though he does remain eighth in the line of succession to the British throne. In his statement, the king reiterated he had learned of the latest claims “with the deepest concern” and that a “full, fair and proper process” investigated “in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities” would follow. 

“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation,” he added. “Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.” Charles last year ousted Andrew after one of Epstein’s accusers, Virginia Giuffre, claimed in shocking detail in her posthumous memoirs that she had been trafficked to have sex with Andrew when she was a teenager.

The Giuffre family welcomed Andrew’s arrest Thursday, saying “our broken hearts have been lifted at the news”, adding “he was “never a prince”. He has previously denied any wrongdoing in his associations with Epstein. Andrew settled a US civil lawsuit in 2022 brought by Giuffre while not admitting liability.

He served as a British trade envoy for a decade from 2001. Official guidance stipulates trade envoys have a duty of confidentiality over sensitive, commercial or political information related to their official visits, the BBC has said.

Strong message

Misconduct in public office carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment, according to the Crown Prosecution Service. Before news of Andrew’s arrest broke, Prime Minister Keir Starmer had said “nobody is above the law”. The ex-prince is deeply unpopular with the British public, and many welcomed his arrest. 

It was not immediately clear where Andrew had been taken to. Under UK law he can be held for 24 hours without charge, after which the police must apply to the courts for a custody extension. At least nine UK police forces have confirmed they are assessing claims stemming from the Epstein files, many related to Andrew.

It follows the US justice department’s latest release of millions of files from its investigation into the US financier, who was awaiting trial for sex trafficking when he died in prison in 2019. That has prompted high-profile figures, including former UK prime minister Gordon Brown, to urge police to probe dozens of flights dating back decades arriving at UK airports tied to Epstein, dubbed by media the “Lolita Express”.

London’s Metropolitan police has also launched an investigation into the relationship between the UK’s former ambassador to Washington, Peter Mandelson, and the disgraced financier.

Trending Now

Hidden Flaws in Costa Rica’s Customs Overhaul Leads to Audit

The Ministry of Hacienda has launched an internal audit into potential flaws in its new customs management system, ATENA, following complaints about reliability and...

Central Valley Hospitals Overloaded by Respiratory Surge and Nurse Shortfalls

Hospitals in the Central Valley face mounting pressure from a rise in respiratory illnesses, prompting the Caja Costarricense de Seguro Social (CCSS) to shift...

Restoration of Costa Rica’s Teatro Nacional Paused Amid Claims of Irreparable Harm

Work on restoring the Teatro Nacional, Costa Rica's premier cultural landmark, came to a sudden stop this week after the Sala Constitucional issued a...

Cuba Faces Deepening Fuel Crisis as Governments Worldwide Issue Travel Warnings

Costa Rica became the latest country to urge its citizens to leave Cuba immediately amid a worsening fuel shortage that has crippled transportation, power...

Fire in San Salvador Claims Five Lives in Historic District Blaze

A massive fire tore through makeshift homes and businesses in San Salvador's historic center early Friday, killing five people. The blaze, which started in...

Costa Rica’s Route 32 Shuts Down Again After Landslide Near Zurquí

Drivers heading to Limón faced another roadblock Saturday night when a landslide closed Route 32 at kilometer 28 near the Zurquí sector in Braulio...
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel

Latest News from Costa Rica