No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeSportTennis World No. 1 Sinner Calls Doping Ban "Unfair" Ahead of Rome...

Tennis World No. 1 Sinner Calls Doping Ban “Unfair” Ahead of Rome Return

Jannik Sinner believes his three-month doping ban to be “unfair” as the world number one awaits his return to tennis in time to contest the French Open and put nearly a year of controversy behind him. In February, Italian star Sinner agreed with the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) to accept the ban after twice testing positive for traces of clostebol in March last year.

WADA accepted that Sinner did not gain any competitive advantage from the banned substance, and that he bore no fault for an accidental contamination. His ban ends on May 4, in time for him to make his comeback on home clay at the Rome Open which starts three days later and less than three weeks before Roland Garros.

Speaking to Sky Sport in an interview broadcast on Saturday, Sinner said: “We accepted (the ban) quickly, even though I wasn’t really in agreement. “We went back and forth with my lawyers and entourage. We had to choose the least bad option and I think that’s what we did.

“What I’ve been through is a bit unfair but if we look at the situation it could have gone a lot worse. After we made the decision it took me a bit of time to refind my feet. “I cannot wait to start playing again in Rome. It’s a special tournament for me but it will be difficult making a comeback with so much attention on me,” the 23-year-old added. 

Sinner was facing a potential ban of two years when WADA appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against an initial exoneration by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA), announced in August.  He has always said that clostebol entered his system when his physiotherapist used a spray containing it to treat a cut before providing a massage and sports therapy.

WADA said explicitly when the ban was announced that Sinner “did not intend to cheat” and that his suspension from tennis was due to him being responsible for the actions of his entourage. The controversy followed Sinner everywhere just as he was rising to become the top player in men’s tennis and a three-time Grand Slam winner. 


And the agreement with WADA sparked fury among a section of the men’s tennis tour, with outspoken Australian Nick Kyrgios and Stan Wawrinka both blasting the ban. “I don’t know what might happen,” said Sinner when asked how he thought his fellow players will react to him at the Foro Italico courts in the Italian capital.

“I know what happened and I know that I’m innocent. The people I have around me, not just my team but my family and friends, the people I’m closest to, have no doubts about what the truth is.” Despite being off the courts since winning the Australian Open earlier this year, he is still top of the ATP Tour’s world rankings as his key rivals Carlos Alcaraz and Alexander Zverev have failed to take advantage of his absence.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Raises Bus Fares Between San José and Nicaragua Border

Taking the bus from San José to the Nicaraguan border became more expensive today.The fare from San José to Peñas Blancas increased from ₡5,820...

The Panama Canal Opened 112 Years Ago Today

Twelve years of digging, an estimated 27,500 deaths and roughly $375 million ended quietly on the morning of August 15, 1914, when a single...

China’s Xi Warns Against Outside Interference in Latin America

Chinese President Xi Jinping defended Latin America’s “independence and self-reliance” during talks with Ecuadorian President Daniel Noboa, arguing that countries in the region should...

Corcovado National Park Placed on Red Alert Over Sewage and Crumbling Infrastructure

A coalition of Costa Rican environmental organizations has placed Corcovado National Park under what it calls a red alert, warning that sewage discharges, decaying...

Costa Rica’s Corcovado Faces Ranger Shortage and Environmental Crime

Concerns are growing over Costa Rica’s ability to protect Corcovado National Park as park rangers contend with illegal gold mining, poaching, logging, illegal fishing...

Fernández Tours Flooded Limón as Pressure Builds for an Emergency Declaration

Fernández toured flooded Limón on Monday as a legislator pressed for a formal emergency declaration for the Caribbean.

Costa Rica Audit Finds 157 Unfinished Works and Safety Risks on Route 32

A new technical audit of the Route 32 expansion has identified 157 unfinished works, unstable slopes and road-safety problems along the highway connecting central...

Paulo Wanchope expected back at Herediano for a third spell in charge

The former Manchester City and West Ham striker is reported to be closing an agreement to take over at Herediano, a job he has held twice before. The club has not announced it.

General Cañas Highway Lane Closures Begin Monday in Costa Rica

Drivers using the General Cañas Highway between Alajuela and San José should prepare for additional congestion beginning Monday as crews carry out eight days...
Steven Hodel
Steven Hodel
Steven Hodel is the Tennis Correspondent for The Tico Times, covering the ATP and WTA tours and Latin American players from his base in Costa Rica. Reach him at steve@ticotimes.net or on X at @theticotimes.
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel