No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsCrimeSurvivors Demand Answers: The Unsolved Mystery of the La Penca Bombing

Survivors Demand Answers: The Unsolved Mystery of the La Penca Bombing

IF it’s not the nightmares, it’s the constant discovery of new pieces of shrapnel in his body that remind retired reporter Nelson Murillo of the bombing he survived during a press conference at an anti-Sandinista headquarters in La Penca, Nicaragua, 21 years ago. Four of his colleagues were not so fortunate – they lost their lives to the blast. And while Murillo and other survivors have physical and mental scars to remind them of the attack, the collective memory of government authorities – who have never convicted anyone in the bombing – has not been so strong, Murillo said.

IN commemoration of the bombing’s 21st anniversary Monday, May 30, La Penca survivors and the Costa Rican Journalists’ Association renewed their search for answers in the tragedy that left four dead, including Tico Times reporter Linda Frazier. “More than two decades later, silence continues impeding the case,” said Ramsés Román, president of the Journalists’ Association. Román announced that with “the tragedy of La Penca alive in the hearts and souls of Costa Rican reporters,” the association will dedicate itself throughout this year, particularly during “Professionals in Communication Week” in September, to demanding answers to what has so far produced only theories.

THESE theories are as conflicting as Cold War ideologies, with some people pointing fingers at the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and others placing blame on the left-wing Sandinista government in power in Nicaragua from 1979 to 1990. Evidence has not been conclusive in either argument, according to Murillo, who was a 24-year-old Channel 6 TV News worker when La Penca was bombed. What is known is that a man posing as a photojournalist planted the bomb. “With nothing proven, and no trials won or lost, you cannot talk of much more than possibilities,” said Murillo, who told The Tico Times he has had 29 operations since the bombing as well as 79 splinters of metal and other material removed from his body over the years.

Many people have come to the conclusion that both the CIA and the Sandinistas – who can only be described as enemies during Nicaragua’s war-torn 1980s – were involved in the bombing (TT, May 28, 2004).

THE bombing is considered by most an attempt on the life of Edén Pastora – the charismatic Sandinista-turned rebel who, as “Comandante Cero,” led the takeover of Managua’s National Assembly during the uprising against Anastasio Somoza (TT, June 1, 1984). Pastora, who was injured in the bombing, was not short on enemies. When he called the press conference to the remote jungle headquarters where the attack took place, he was expected to announce his refusal to join U.S.-backed Contra groups based in the north.

“What I have seen and gathered in all these years, is that for some reason which I don’t know – rather, not for an unknown reason, because the reason behind this horror is incomprehensible, but through unknown mechanisms – all of (Pastora’s) enemies came to an agreement to try to get rid of him,” said Gilberto Lopes, La Penca survivor and president of the Association of the Foreign Press.

BOTH Murillo and Lopes said Monday answers have been hard to find because “important forces have made it difficult.” The Costa Rican government has been criticized for its lack of investigation, particularly immediately following the bombing. Much of the research that has been done has been by La Penca survivors. In an effort to re-involve the government in the search for answers, the Journalists’ Association is requesting the help of the Ombudsman’s Office and the Inter-American Human Rights Commission. It is also sending letters to the Prosecutor’s Office and Costa Rican President Abel Pacheco demanding their attention in the matter.

“ANYTHING they do to move this case forward is important, and I will help where I can,” said 83-year-old survivor Carlos Vargas, who was a reporter for La República at the time of the bombing. Vargas was standing next to The Tico Times’ Frazier at the time of the bombing and tried to help her.

Survivors said they will take the search beyond borders, including to Washington D.C., where some believe classified documents could reveal clues. “If we want to continue the fight, we’ve got to knock on all the doors possible. Who knows what we will find… 21 years have produced very little,” Lopes said.

Trending Now

Search Intensifies for Missing Hiker in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

Rescue teams continued searching today for a 58-year-old man who has been missing for several days inside Chirripó National Park, one of Costa Rica’s...

Venus Williams Falls to Emiliana Arango in Cincinnati Open First Round

Venus Williams’ return to the Cincinnati Open ended in the first round Friday as Colombian qualifier Emiliana Arango defeated the seven-time Grand Slam champion...

Costa Rica’s Route 32 Reopens After a Morning Landslide Shuts the Highway

Route 32 closed for about four hours Saturday morning after material fell on the San José-Limón highway. Here are the alternates and why the road can shut again.

Costa Rica Heavy Rains Cause Flooding and Travel Disruptions

Heavy rains from Tropical Wave No. 32 left flooding, overflowing rivers, landslides and road problems across several parts of Costa Rica, while forecasters warned...

Fernández Tours Flooded Limón as Pressure Builds for an Emergency Declaration

Fernández toured flooded Limón on Monday as a legislator pressed for a formal emergency declaration for the Caribbean.

Costa Rica Seals Security Contracts as “Operation Pegasus” Remark Goes Unexplained

A decree in force since August 10 seals Costa Rican security records including procurement files, as a governing-party lawmaker's unexplained "Operation Pegasus" remark sharpens the dispute.

U.S. and Costa Rica Discuss Deeper Security Cooperation

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke with Costa Rican President Laura Fernández today as the two countries look to deepen security cooperation amid...

Route 32 shut again with a reopening decision due this morning

Route 32 between the Central Valley and Limón remained closed early Tuesday pending a MOPT inspection. What the detours look like and why the slopes keep failing.

Possible Archaeological Find in Costa Rica Delays Water Project

A long-awaited project to bring piped drinking water to Isla Caballo has hit another delay after crews uncovered ceramic pieces, shells and fossil material...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel