No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsLatin AmericaMexico Announces Plan for 100,000 Security Personnel at World Cup

Mexico Announces Plan for 100,000 Security Personnel at World Cup

Mexico announced Friday it will station nearly 100,000 police, soldiers and private security guards across its three World Cup host cities to protect fans and players this summer. President Claudia Sheinbaum unveiled the details at a military base in Zapopan, a suburb of Guadalajara, one of the venues hit by recent cartel violence.

The plan covers Mexico City, Guadalajara and Monterrey, which together will stage 13 matches, including the tournament opener on June 11 at Azteca Stadium in the capital. The monthlong event runs from June 11 to July 19. Sheinbaum presented Plan Kukulkan — named after a Mayan serpent deity — just days after violence flared in Guadalajara and other areas following the death of cartel leader Nemesio “El Mencho” Oseguera Cervantes.

The strategy includes 20,000 military personnel from the army, air force and National Guard, plus 55,000 police officers and staff from private security firms, for a total of just over 99,000 people. General Román Villalvazo Barrios, head of Mexico’s World Cup coordination center, outlined the deployment during the Friday briefing. It features around 2,500 military and civilian vehicles, 24 aircraft, anti-drone systems and dogs trained to detect explosives.

The operation will also cover nearby tourist spots and includes coordination with the United States and Canada, the other co-hosts. Oseguera, founder of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, died February 22 after a military operation in Tapalpa, Jalisco. He was wounded in the raid and succumbed to injuries while being flown to Mexico City.

His body was handed over to family and buried Monday in a gold-colored coffin at a cemetery near the Zapopan military base where Sheinbaum spoke. News of his death triggered immediate retaliation. Cartel members set up roadblocks in 20 of Mexico’s 32 states, torched vehicles and businesses in Guadalajara and the resort town of Puerto Vallarta and clashed with security forces. More than 70 people died in the initial operation and subsequent violence.

Mexico City and Monterrey saw no such unrest. Both FIFA and Mexican officials have stressed the incidents will not affect the tournament. FIFA President Gianni Infantino told Sheinbaum in a phone call that he felt reassured about Mexico’s preparations. Security Secretary Omar García Harfuch met with FIFA representatives earlier this week to review plans.

Guadalajara will host four matches. Sheinbaum and Infantino have repeatedly said fans have nothing to fear. Mexico expects millions of visitors. Villalvazo said the goal is to project a secure country while addressing any threats to national security. The plan draws on existing security structures and adds specialized units for stadiums, airports, hotels and fan zones.

Officials say the deployment will remain in place through the final whistle in July.

Trending Now

Mother’s Day Is a Full National Holiday in Costa Rica

Today is Día de la Madre, and it is a full national holiday in Costa Rica, not just a greeting-card occasion. Public offices are...

Costa Rica flood emergency keeps 473 schools closed and 1,300 people in shelters

The rain has eased but saturated ground keeps the risk high across the Caribbean and Northern Zone. Here is what is closed, what is reachable and what to check before you drive.

Missing Hiker Found Alive After Four Days in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

A 58-year-old Costa Rican hiker who had been missing for four days inside Chirripó National Park was found alive this morning, ending an extensive...

Nicaragua Bishop Abelardo Mata Says He Is Well After Detention

Catholic Bishop Abelardo Mata, a critic of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega, said he is in good condition in an interview broadcast Wednesday by the...

Possible Archaeological Find in Costa Rica Delays Water Project

A long-awaited project to bring piped drinking water to Isla Caballo has hit another delay after crews uncovered ceramic pieces, shells and fossil material...

Former Costa Rica Health Minister’s Trial Delayed After Lawyer Leaves Case

The trial of former Health Minister Joselyn Chacón has been postponed until October after a court ruled that her attorney had abandoned the defense...

More than 900 Costa Rican schools have no classes this Monday

If your child goes to school in Turrialba, Sarapiquí, Limón or Sulá, there are no classes today. Those four areas are closed in full,...

Costa Rica Wildlife Study Records 79 Species at Reserva Conchal

A year-long wildlife study at Reserva Conchal in Guanacaste documented 79 species of mammals, birds and reptiles, nearly double the 40 recorded during the...

Brandon Nakashima Saves Three Match Points to Stun Daniil Medvedev at Cincinnati Open

Brandon Nakashima saved three consecutive match points before completing a dramatic comeback against Daniil Medvedev on Tuesday at the Cincinnati Open. The 27th-seeded American...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel