No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsAlcaraz downs Sinner to win Italian Open in Roland Garros warning

Alcaraz downs Sinner to win Italian Open in Roland Garros warning

Carlos Alcaraz won the Italian Open on Sunday after beating rival Jannik Sinner 7-6 (7/5), 6-1 in the final and firing a warning shot for Roland Garros. Alcaraz, who will climb to world number two behind Sinner on Monday, won his third title of the season, eventually dominating Sinner and silencing the over 10,000 fans packed into the center court stands.

The Spaniard claimed victory in his fourth final of the season and sent a message to the rest of the men’s tour for the French Open, where he will defend the title once it starts next weekend. “Beating Jannik and winning in Rome, I think both things mixed together give you a great confidence coming to Paris,” said Alcaraz.

“I’m going to enjoy this moment with my family, with my team, friends that came from home. And a few days rest just to realize what I’ve achieved, that is important as well. And then my focus is on Roland Garros.” Sinner tops the world rankings but his 26-match winning streak was ended by Alcaraz, also the man who had last beaten him in last year’s China Open final.

Alcaraz is the only man to beat Sinner in a tour final since the start of 2024, when his Italian rival began his rise to the top of men’s tennis and three Grand Slam titles. The 22-year-old has had a hugely impressive clay court swing this season even with the thigh injury which cost him the chance to compete at the Madrid Open.

Alcaraz won his second Masters 1000 title of the year in Rome to go alongside his victory at Monte Carlo last month. He also reached the final in Barcelona.

Alcaraz triumphs

Finishing runner-up is still a hugely positive result for Sinner in his first tournament since his three-month ban for testing positive twice in March last year for traces of clostebol, a contamination doping authorities accepted was accidental. Sinner let two set points slip in game 12 of the first set and that was the turning point in the match, with Alcaraz rattling off the first three points of the tie-break before going ahead in the match.

Alcaraz then moved through the gears to win the first five games of the second set as he powered to a first Rome crown. Sinner’s encouraging return though sets up the possibility of another final clash with Alcaraz at Roland Garros, with the two young stars of men’s tennis set to be the two top seeds in Paris.

Sinner said on court that Alcaraz would be “the man to beat” at Paris and then jokingly thanked his brother Mark for “preferring to go to Imola to watch the Formula One Grand Prix instead of being here”. The 23-year-old was gunning to become the first Italian man to win at the Foro Italico since Adriano Panatta back in 1976, but he failed to make it a hat-trick of triumphs for home players in the Italian capital.

Earlier Jasmine Paolini became the first woman since Monica Seles in 1990 to win the Rome singles and doubles titles when she and Sara Errani beat Veronika Kudermetova and Elise Mertens 6-4, 7-5. Paolini secured that brace of victories a day after overcoming former US Open champion Coco Gauff in straight sets and becoming the first Italian woman to win the Rome singles title since Raffaella Reggi in 1985.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Approves Wildlife Crossings Law to Protect Animals

Costa Rica’s Legislative Assembly unanimously approved a bill today requiring wildlife protection measures in new and existing public infrastructure projects, a major legal step...

Is Costa Rica Losing Its Tourism Edge in Central America?

Imagine that the seven nations of Central America are participants in a race. The race has no finish line. Instead it's an ongoing competition...

Costa Rica Approves Sharp Drop in Super Gasoline and Diesel Prices

Drivers in Costa Rica will soon pay substantially less for super gasoline and diesel after regulators approved fuel-price reductions of up to â‚¡79 per...

Guatemala’s Fuego Volcano Eruption Forces 1,700 Evacuations

A powerful eruption of Guatemala’s Fuego Volcano has forced authorities to evacuate at least 1,700 residents from areas near the crater and declare the...

Costa Rica’s Romería Reaches Its Peak With Major Security Operation

Costa Rica’s Romería entered its busiest time today as hundreds of thousands of pilgrims began converging on Cartago under one of the country’s largest...

Costa Rica’s Economy Slows as Central Bank Warns of El Niño Risk

Costa Rica's Central Bank has lowered its growth forecast for this year, pointing to a climate shock that has already begun to weigh on...

Wiretaps Allege Costa Rica Police Tipped Off Diablo’s Criminal Network

Wiretap recordings incorporated into the criminal case against the organization led by Alejandro Arias Monge, known by the alias "Diablo," describe a network of...

Where Fixed Internet Still Does Not Reach in Costa Rica

Nearly three in ten Costa Rican households have no fixed internet, and the gap sits in the rural and coastal areas that show up most often on relocation shortlists.

Costa Rica Approves New Rules for Nighttime Ambulance Flights

Costa Rica has approved a national protocol governing nighttime air ambulance flights, closing out roughly ten months of uncertainty that began when Civil Aviation...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel