• Squaremouth travel insurance button 468x106
  • Tico Travel Surfing
  • Costa Rica Real Estate

Costa Rica squirrel monkeys: Conservation group holds fundraiser to count endangered species

November 23, 2015

You can still hear them howl from the jungle and see them swing from the trees, but biologists know some of Costa Rica’s monkeys are endangered, they just don’t know how endangered.

Lacking funding for research, biologists have been unable to perform a comprehensive count of one of Costa Rica’s sub-species of squirrel monkeys, Saimiri oerstedii citronellus, since 2001. Squirrel monkeys are the most endangered species of monkey in Central America and an accurate population count is crucial to their conservation. This specific subspecies of squirrel monkey is found only in the central Pacific region of Costa Rica. Another subspecies of squirrel monkey, S. o. oerstedii, lives south of the Térraba River.

The Titi Titi Conservation Alliance held an online auction to raise funds for a monkey count. People looking to donate to the cause can bid on vacations, tours and other items valued between $60 and $7,000.

The organization is hoping to raise $25,000, 80 percent of which will go to the monkey count. The other 20 percent will be used for the organization’s reforestation projects throughout the central Pacific region.

You may be interested

Migration from Central America to the US drops by 75%
immigration
3 views
immigration
3 views

Migration from Central America to the US drops by 75%

AFP and The Tico Times - February 20, 2020

Migration from the countries of northern Central America to the United States has been reduced by more than 75% since…

With Ukraine’s support, Costa Rica evacuates citizens from Wuhan, China
Costa Rica
17 views
Costa Rica
17 views

With Ukraine’s support, Costa Rica evacuates citizens from Wuhan, China

Alejandro Zúñiga - February 20, 2020

The Foreign Ministry of Costa Rica on Wednesday initiated the evacuation of two Ticos who were residing in Wuhan, China,…

Saprissa rescues agonized draw against Montreal Impact in Champions League
Soccer
15 views
Soccer
15 views

Saprissa rescues agonized draw against Montreal Impact in Champions League

AFP and The Tico Times - February 20, 2020

Deportivo Saprissa rescued in the last breath a 2-2 draw against the Montreal Impact in the first leg of the…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!