Accused Escazú rapist gets two months preventative detention
Judicial authorities ordered a man accused of raping and assaulting four woman and one minor in Escazú, southwest of Costa Rica’s capital, to two months preventative detention Friday after Judicial Investigation Police (OIJ) arrested him Thursday morning.
Investigators accused the 33-year-old suspect, a Costa Rican man, of committing rape, sexual abuse and aggravated robbery against four women between the ages of 18 and 33, and a 16-year-old girl.
On Thursday, OIJ Director Francisco Segura said the suspect approached his victims on a motorcycle and then threatened them with a gun before assaulting them.
Law enforcement said the attacks took place during the day in several areas of the wealthy San José suburb in February, May and September of this year.
OIJ arrested the suspect in Guachipelín, Escazú, at 8 a.m. Thursday morning.
The suspect’s case has been sent to the Prosecutor’s Office to determine charges.
You may be interested
Update: Health Ministry suspects 19 deaths due to adulterated alcoholAlejandro Zúñiga - July 19, 2019
Costa Rica's Health Ministry last week issued a sanitary alert over liquor that has been sold to the public containing…
Costa Rica to renovate Limón cruise terminalAlejandro Zúñiga - July 19, 2019
The 193,000 cruise passengers who arrive annually to Costa Rica’s Caribbean will soon enjoy renovated facilities. The Costa Rican government…
Costa Rica named as Mexico & Central America’s Leading DestinationAlejandro Zúñiga - July 18, 2019
Costa Rica was named "Mexico & Central America's Leading Destination" at the 2019 World Travel Awards Latin America. Considered the…