• Cielo Vista

Venezuelan opposition wants court ruling on Chávez crisis

January 8, 2013

CARACAS – Venezuela’s top opposition leader, Henrique Capriles, on Tuesday urged the Supreme Court to rule on whether cancer-stricken President Hugo Chávez’s re-inauguration can be postponed, as his government argues.

“I do not know what the judges of the Supreme Court are waiting for. Right now in Venezuela, without any doubt whatsoever, a constitutional conflict has arisen,” Capriles said.

Chávez is scheduled to take the oath of office on Thursday following his October re-election win, but he is recovering from cancer surgery in Cuba, his fourth operation in 18 months, and it’s not clear he will make it to the ceremony in Caracas.

Government officials say the presidential swearing-in ceremony is merely a formality that can be delayed, but the opposition says the constitution must be respected.

The constitution says new elections must be held within 30 days if the president-elect dies or is permanently incapacitated either before he takes office or in the first four years of his six-year term.

Capriles also urged Latin American leaders to stay away from a pro-Chávez rally convened by the government for Thursday in place of the inauguration.

So far, Uruguay’s President José Mugica, Bolivia’s President Evo Morales and Foreign Minister Ricardo Patiño of Ecuador are the only ones to confirm their attendance.

Capriles urged regional leaders not to succumb to “a game by a political party” – alluding to Venezuela’s ruling party. He mentioned by name the presidents of Argentina, Brazil, Colombia and Bolivia and Ecuador.

Information Minister Ernesto Villegas said late Monday that Chávez’s medical condition had remained “stable” since the latest complication from surgery was reported four days ago.

Chávez is suffering from a severe pulmonary infection that has resulted in weak breathing, officials have said.

Facebook Comments

You may be interested

Fishing for the next generation in Quepos
Sponsored content
4 views
Sponsored content
4 views

Fishing for the next generation in Quepos

Scott Cutter / Marina Pez Vela - May 20, 2019

Having completed the 20th edition of the Offshore World Championship in May, and the 7th edition of this iconic event…

Costa Rica announces provisional 40-man roster for Gold Cup
Keylor Navas
7 views
Keylor Navas
7 views

Costa Rica announces provisional 40-man roster for Gold Cup

Alejandro Zúñiga - May 20, 2019

Costa Rica on Monday announced the 40-man provisional roster that will serve as the basis for its 2019 Gold Cup…

Costa Rica allocates $3.35 million for port infrastructure in Limón
Costa Rica
17 views
Costa Rica
17 views

Costa Rica allocates $3.35 million for port infrastructure in Limón

Alejandro Zúñiga - May 20, 2019

The Atlantic Port Authority (JAPDEVA) will manage more than $3.35 million as it explores four projects to support the economy…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!