No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveTelecom Companies Find Flaws in Costa Rica’s Mobile Guidelines

Telecom Companies Find Flaws in Costa Rica’s Mobile Guidelines

The opening of the Costa Rican mobile phone market to private competition may encounter further delays after three participating telecommunications companies objected to guidelines presented by the Telecommunications Superintendency (SUTEL).

Earlier this month, SUTEL released a 200-page document outlining the requirements for private telecom companies to enter the Costa Rican market. Companies that purchased the document were given 45 days to offer comments or complaints regarding the document. To date, three companies – Cable & Wireless, Claro and Centennial Towers – have filed objections with Costa Rica’s Comptroller General’s Office, saying that the guidelines are technically insufficient and lack clarity in numerous areas.

“Three companies have submitted objections to the Comptroller’s General Office, which has until Oct. 6 to decide if the companies’ complaints are well-grounded,” Carolina Mora, a SUTEL spokeswoman, told The Tico Times. “At that time it will be determined whether the guidelines must be modified or whether the opening of the market will continue as originally planned.”

Mora said Tuesday that to date 34 companies had purchased the document containing the guidelines for market entry, only five of which – Digicel, Millicom, Telefónica, Cable & Wireless and América Móvil – are telecom service providers. Each of these five companies is expected to formally apply to participate in the Costa Rican cell phone market, presently a monopoly of state-owned Costa Rican Electricity Institute (ICE). Three private companies eventually will be chosen by SUTEL to compete with ICE in offering cell phone service.

Trending Now

Costa Rica Jaguar Caught on Camera Trap in Guanacaste Forest

The forest that I visit in person isn’t the same place my camera traps record. When I’m physically there it takes all of ten...

How Latin America Is Adapting to Trump’s New Pressure

Latin America is navigating a minefield of economic and military threats following Donald Trump’s return to the White House. Some leaders have pushed back,...

Brazilian Tennis Sensation João Fonseca Reflects on Breakthrough Season

João Fonseca kicked off preseason training in Rio de Janeiro with eyes set on a strong start to 2026, a year that brings new...

Costa Rican Officials Clarify Leaked Air Safety Report as Preliminary and Erroneous

Costa Rican transport officials moved quickly to address a leaked report from the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) that assigned our country a failing...

Trump Endorsement Shakes up Honduras Presidential Race

The president of the United States, Donald Trump, has gotten directly involved in Honduras’s presidential elections by openly backing right-wing businessman Nasry Asfura, just...

Costa Rica Forecasts 40,000 Starlink Subscriptions by 2030

Costa Rica's telecommunications regulator forecasts that satellite internet connections will hit 40,000 by 2030, with Starlink leading the charge. The Superintendencia de Telecomunicaciones (Sutel)...
Avatar
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Rocking Chait
Costa Rica Travel

Latest News from Costa Rica