Venezuelans Accused of Plotting Coup Seek Refuge
Two Venezuelans accused of staging an overthrow of Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez in April 2002 have applied for refugee status in Costa Rica, Public Security Minister Fernando Berrocal confirmed last week.
These former Venezuelan military agents, identified as Néstor González and Henry López, have already presented their requests to the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) a necessary step in the process of gaining refugee status. Costa Rica’s General Immigration Administration is now reviewing their cases, Berrocal said.
When the applications have been ruled on, the decision will be made public, Berrocal said.
You may be interested
Canada helps protect vulnerable sectors in Central America against pandemicAFP - September 18, 2020
Canada has allocated more than half a million dollars in aid to combat Covid-19 in vulnerable sectors of Nicaragua, Honduras…
Costa Rica to propose fiscal adjustments before negotiations with IMFAlejandro Zúñiga - September 17, 2020
The Costa Rican government on Thursday will announce details about its upcoming negotiations with the International Monetary Fund (IMF), from…
Costa Rica coronavirus updates for Thursday, September 17Alejandro Zúñiga - September 17, 2020
Costa Rica announced 17 new coronavirus-related deaths over the last day for a total of 666, according to official data…