No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeCosta RicaCosta Rica Seeks Taiwan Funds to Rebuild Calderón Guardia Hospital

Costa Rica Seeks Taiwan Funds to Rebuild Calderón Guardia Hospital

Four months after the government issued an emergency decree to finance the reconstruction of Hospital Calderón Guardia, the National Emergency Commission (CNE) has collected only $1.5 million of the $50 million needed to rebuild the sections of the hospital that burned in July, the daily La República reported.

Faced with the shortage of resources, President Abel Pacheco proposed using a $15 million donation from the Taiwanese government, originally earmarked for the construction of an international convention center, to help rebuild Calderón Guardia, according to the daily La Nación. Pacheco said that while he is enthusiastic about building the convention center, health remains one of the country’s top priorities.

The government of Taiwan had already developed construction plans for the convention center, to be built in San Antonio de Belén near the highway from San José to Alajuela. However, Taiwanese authorities announced last week that they would evaluate Costa Rica’s request to redirect the funds. The Taiwanese Embassy in San José told La Nación that the request for the change had already been submitted to the Taiwanese government and is under review.

The tragic fire that raged at Calderón Guardia in the pre-dawn hours of July 12 (TT, July 15) claimed 21 lives, including two victims who died after the incident, and destroyed the hospital’s fourth and fifth floors. A total of 147 beds were lost in the blaze, La Nación reported last week. While the hospital originally had a capacity of 514 beds, only 367 are currently in use.

Although the Judicial Investigation Police (OIJ) did not find material evidence to prove arson initially, authorities suspected the fire was started with matches in a storeroom on the third floor of the hospital’s oldest wing (TT, Oct. 14). Last month, authorities arrested a man identified by the last name Ledezma for allegedly starting the fire, according to a statement from the Judicial Branch. Ledezma, 24, worked as a nursing assistant at the hospital, La Nación reported.

Four people saw him leaving the storeroom where the fire began, Jorge Rojas, chief of the OIJ, told Channel 7 News in October. Rojas said the suspect had “a large number of false degrees,” allegedly claiming to have studied medicine and other fields, including firefighting. Ledezma is being held under a six-month preventive prison order. According to Rojas, there are no suspects other than Ledezma, who was arrested Oct. 28.

If found guilty, Ledezma could become the person responsible for the highest number of induced deaths in the country, according to Channel 7 News. For his alleged crime, he could face up to 20 years in prison. Police speculate that Ledezma may have started the fire in a desperate attempt to gain attention from his coworkers. Rojas told La Nación that the suspect’s intention was not to kill anyone. “He had the idea of starting a fire he could control, but it got out of hand,” Rojas said.

Trending Now

Guanacaste Airport Outpaces Costa Rica’s Main Airport

Costa Rica welcomed more than 2 million international tourists during the first seven months of 2026, but the clearest sign of change was not...

Venus Williams Falls to Emiliana Arango in Cincinnati Open First Round

Venus Williams’ return to the Cincinnati Open ended in the first round Friday as Colombian qualifier Emiliana Arango defeated the seven-time Grand Slam champion...

How to watch Serena and Venus Williams play doubles in Costa Rica today

Serena and Venus Williams play doubles at the Cincinnati Open tonight at 5 p.m. Costa Rica time. Here is where to watch it and what to avoid.

Search Intensifies for Missing Hiker in Costa Rica’s Chirripó National Park

Rescue teams continued searching today for a 58-year-old man who has been missing for several days inside Chirripó National Park, one of Costa Rica’s...

Costa Rica Named Among Top Destinations for Solo Travelers

Costa Rica has been included among 25 of the world’s best destinations for people traveling alone in a 2026 selection by Travel + Leisure,...

Brandon Nakashima Saves Three Match Points to Stun Daniil Medvedev at Cincinnati Open

Brandon Nakashima saved three consecutive match points before completing a dramatic comeback against Daniil Medvedev on Tuesday at the Cincinnati Open. The 27th-seeded American...

Costa Rica Hands Macho Coca and Compadre to US Agents in New York Cases

Costa Rica surrendered two men wanted on United States drug trafficking charges to American agents on this morning, closing extradition proceedings that had run...

What happened to Galeria Namu?

Founded in 1998, Galeria Namu had become a must-visit attraction for tourists visiting San Jose, as well as for many nationals, interested in seeing...

Costa Rica Under Orange Alert as Caribbean Ground Reaches Saturation

Updated Monday at 11:40 a.m. Route 32 has reopened. The Río Chirripó bridge on Route 4 is closed. The ground across the Caribbean can no...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel