No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeCementazoProsecutors requests six months of prison for seven cement case detainees

Prosecutors requests six months of prison for seven cement case detainees

The Costa Rican Prosecutor’s Office requested six months of preventive detention for the seven people who have now been arrested in connection with the Banco de Costa Rica-Chinese cement case popularly known as the Cementazo.

The request, confirmed by the Prosecutor’s Office Saturday morning – the office indicated on TwitterĀ that the hearing had been in progress since 1 amĀ  – followed the arrest on Friday of businessman Juan Carlos BolaƱos and six senior executives from the Banco de Costa Rica, one of Costa Rica’s public banks.

Bolaños is the key figure in the unfolding scandal, which centers on alleged influence peddling involving  officials in the executive, judicial and legislative branches of government so Bolaños could obtain $30 million in loans from bank to import Chinese cement.

His arrest took place in Atenas, Alajuela at approximately 3:30 am Friday morning. The daily La Nación reported that authorities began following him Thursday evening with the intent to arrest him at 6 am at his home in EscazĆŗ, but moved up the arrest because of “movements that caught our attention” as the businessman visited various locations around San JosĆ© during that night and into the wee hours of the morning.

When BolaƱos stopped at the offices of Grupo JCB in La Uruca and loaded boxes into his car, authorities decided to take him into custody earlier than planned, the daily reported.

How Costa Rica’s cement market became a hotbed of intrigue

Hours later, six Banco de Costa Rica executives – including its suspended manager, Mario Barrenechea – were arrested.

The last names of the additional five bank executives arrested later Friday, according to statement from the Prosecutors Office, are Corrales Barboza, Vƭquez Lizano and AcuƱa Alvarado, Ramƭrez Rodrƭguez and Barrantes Campos.

Investigators are examining alleged irregularities in the bank’s unsecured loans to BolaƱos.

Costa Rica’s Chief Prosecutor, Emilia Navas, said at a news conference that several other suspects are being investigated, suggesting the possibility of further arrests.

Members of the government are said to be implicated in the probe. The Economy Ministry modified its rules on cement imports following seven meetings BolaƱos had with representatives of the Executive Branch.

Asked whether President Luis Guillermo SolĆ­s was among those being investigated, Navas declined to answer.

SolĆ­s, who has been recovering from prostate surgery, posted a video on Facebook on Friday expressing his support for the ongoing investigation.

“I share the indignation of the citizenry” over the case, he said. “The people of Costa Rica deserve to know the whole truth.”

https://www.facebook.com/luisguillermosolisr/videos/1866853800010797/

BolaƱos’ lawyer, Juan Marco Rivero, called Friday’s arrests “a media show,” explaining that his client had offered to cooperate fully with prosecutors.

The scandal is clouding Costa Rica’s political landscape, with lawmakers, prosecutors and a Supreme Court judge suspected of supporting Bolanos all caught up in the matter.

President SolĆ­s called for the resignation of all members of the Banco de Costa Rica’s Board of Directors as the scandal grew, and authorities suspended Navas’ predecessor, Jorge ChavarrĆ­a, and judge Celso Gamboa in order to investigate the judicial authorities’ alleged involvement in helping BolaƱos.

Costa Rica’s cement scandal isn’t over, but public trust is unquestionably damaged

Trending Now

U.S. and Costa Rica Discuss Deeper Security Cooperation

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke with Costa Rican President Laura FernƔndez today as the two countries look to deepen security cooperation amid...

Route 32 shut again with a reopening decision due this morning

Route 32 between the Central Valley and Limón remained closed early Tuesday pending a MOPT inspection. What the detours look like and why the slopes keep failing.

Costa Rican Surfers Chase a Home Title as WSL Finals Day Runs at Playa Hermosa

The quarterfinals, semifinals and final of the Garabito Surf City Pro all run Sunday at Playa Hermosa, with Leilani McGonagle carrying the strongest Costa Rican result into the closing rounds.

Possible Archaeological Find in Costa Rica Delays Water Project

A long-awaited project to bring piped drinking water to Isla Caballo has hit another delay after crews uncovered ceramic pieces, shells and fossil material...

Is Panama the New Costa Rica? A 2026 Expat & Real Estate Investor Comparison

For decades, Costa Rica was the undisputed poster child of Central American expat life. However, a quiet reshuffling of priorities is underway, and a...

Costa Rica Moves Immigration Applications Online for Some Foreign Executives

Costa Rica has moved several immigration procedures for foreign executives and their families online, allowing eligible applicants to complete and track the process through...

Latin American Qualifiers Face Double-Duty Day at Cincinnati Open

Latin America’s Cincinnati Open contingent faces a high-pressure Wednesday after severe weather disrupted the opening day of qualifying, leaving several players from the region...

Why Spending US Dollars in Costa Rica Can Be Surprisingly Difficult

When money is the subject, I am as old school as anybody. Cash is king in my world. The thrill, the feel of a...

Costa Rica Dollar Exchange Rate Hits Historic Low as Central Bank Intervenes

The U.S. dollar has fallen to its lowest level in Costa Rica’s modern wholesale foreign-exchange market, increasing the squeeze on those residents who earn...
🌓 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

šŸ”’ Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel