No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsCrimeEl Salvador ex-President Francisco Flores in a coma after stroke

El Salvador ex-President Francisco Flores in a coma after stroke

SAN SALVADOR – El Salvador’s former President Francisco Flores, who is facing trial for embezzling aid money for earthquake victims, is in a coma after suffering a stroke, his lawyers said Monday.

Flores, who was under house arrest, was rushed to the hospital Sunday after having a stroke that paralyzed the right side of his body.

“He is in critical condition,” said lawyer Edgar Morales Joya as he arrived at the private hospital in San Salvador where Flores is being treated.

Flores, 56, is facing trial on charges of stealing $15 million donated by Taiwan for victims of a 2001 earthquake.

El Salvador’s president from 1999 to 2004, he turned himself in in 2014 to respond to the allegations, which he denies.

He had previously been hospitalized in December for possible bleeding in the digestive tract, and had also undergone treatment for blood clots.

Popular Articles

Poás Volcano National Park Reopens with Enhanced Safety Protocols

Poás Volcano National Park has officially reopened to visitors, the National System of Conservation Areas (SINAC) announced. The reopening comes with updated safety measures...

Costa Rica Tourism Declines in 2025: Fewer Visitors from U.S. and Europe

Costa Rica is dealing with a noticeable drop in tourism, a vital economic driver, as visitor numbers decline in 2025. The Costa Rica Tourism...

Tourist Denied Exit at Costa Rica Airport Over Yellow Fever Vaccine Rule

A Peruvian tourist in transit was barred from leaving Juan Santamaría International Airport upon arriving in Costa Rica because he lacked a yellow fever...
spot_img
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Rocking Chait

Latest Articles