No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsletterPresident Solís issues red alert for Caribbean region following major flooding

President Solís issues red alert for Caribbean region following major flooding

President Luis Guillermo Solís issued an emergency red alert – the highest of the country’s three alert levels – Saturday across the Caribbean province of Limón and in the cantons of Sarapiquí, in Heredia, and Turrialba, in the eastern province of Cartago, in response to heavy rains and flooding that have led to widespread structural damage and evacuations.

In a press conference Saturday at noon, Solís said all emergency agencies activated their response protocols to address situations caused by downpours persisting since Friday evening.

National Emergency Commission (CNE) officials met with the President on Saturday morning to evaluate the damage in the three provinces.

Following the meeting, CNE reported that the most affected cantons are Sarapiquí, Turrialba, Siquirres, Matina, Central Limón, Talamanca and Valle de la Estrella.

The Costa Rican Red Cross issued a statement Saturday afternoon saying that there have been no reported deaths or injuries in the affected areas, but that the rain’s intensity could remain the same until at least Monday afternoon.

Flooding of the Reventazón and Pacuare rivers completely blocked passage to the community of Imperio in the canton of Siquirres, in the Caribbean lowlands.

A Costa Rican Electricity Institute (ICE) hydroelectric plant on the Reventazón River reportedly evacuated all of its employees early Saturday morning.

Barra de Parismina River overflowed and flooded the community of La Pajarera in El Carmen, in Limón province.

Emergency staff in Turrialba have evacuated people from various communities and opened a shelter at a local community hall.

Major passes in the Caribbean have been destroyed due to the excessive water.
(Courtesy of the Costa Rican Red Cross)

Several homes and properties are reportedly affected by flooding in the Sarapiquí communities of Caño San José, Nogales and Colono. CNE opened two shelters and according to a report at 2 p.m., 144 people had been evacuated. CNE operations director Walter Fonseca said they are currently working on sending supplies to all shelters and emergency committees have started delivering food.

Passage of vehicles on Route 32 to Limón remains closed due to approximately 4,000 cubic meters of debris that fell off the mountains. Currently, the only access to the Caribbean from the Central Valley is through Route 10 (Paraíso-Turrialba-Siquirres), although it is being regulated by Traffic Police.

The National Meteorological Institute (IMN) at 2 p.m. reported rainfall accumulations of up to 185 mm (7 inches) in the last 30 hours in Sarapiquí, 229 mm (9 in) in Turrialba and between 10-55 mm (0.4 – 2 in) at communities in the Metropolitan Area.

Heavy damages to roads like this one in Limón province came as a result of severe rains early Saturday morning.
(Courtesy of the Costa Rican Red Cross)

Recommended: Costa Rican exporters report Route 32 closure cost them an extra $800,000

Trending Now

Williams Sisters Lose Cincinnati Open Doubles Thriller

Serena and Venus Williams came within two points of completing a dramatic comeback Monday night, but their long-awaited doubles reunion ended with a 2-6,...

Costa Rica Raises Yellow Alert as Tropical Wave Arrives

If you are driving on the Caribbean side or through the Northern Zone today, check that your route is open before you leave the...

Costa Rican Surfers Chase a Home Title as WSL Finals Day Runs at Playa Hermosa

The quarterfinals, semifinals and final of the Garabito Surf City Pro all run Sunday at Playa Hermosa, with Leilani McGonagle carrying the strongest Costa Rican result into the closing rounds.

Costa Rica flood emergency keeps 473 schools closed and 1,300 people in shelters

The rain has eased but saturated ground keeps the risk high across the Caribbean and Northern Zone. Here is what is closed, what is reachable and what to check before you drive.

Venus Williams Falls to Emiliana Arango in Cincinnati Open First Round

Venus Williams’ return to the Cincinnati Open ended in the first round Friday as Colombian qualifier Emiliana Arango defeated the seven-time Grand Slam champion...

The Panama Canal Opened 112 Years Ago Today

Twelve years of digging, an estimated 27,500 deaths and roughly $375 million ended quietly on the morning of August 15, 1914, when a single...

Former Costa Rica Health Minister’s Trial Delayed After Lawyer Leaves Case

The trial of former Health Minister Joselyn Chacón has been postponed until October after a court ruled that her attorney had abandoned the defense...

Panama Canal Cuts Ship Traffic as El Niño Drought Worsens

The Panama Canal will allow fewer ships to pass through the waterway beginning in September as a drought linked to El Niño reduces the...

Paulo Wanchope expected back at Herediano for a third spell in charge

The former Manchester City and West Ham striker is reported to be closing an agreement to take over at Herediano, a job he has held twice before. The club has not announced it.
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel