No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsCosta RicaWhat happened to Carla Stefaniak? Few new details in case

What happened to Carla Stefaniak? Few new details in case

Carla Stefaniak was visiting Costa Rica from the United States last November when she went missing.

In a case that quickly garnered international attention, authorities soon found Stefaniak’s body near the San Antonio of Escazú property she had rented through Airbnb. An autopsy revealed she had died of stab wounds to the neck and extremities, as well as a strong blow to the head.

Judicial Investigation Police (OIJ) and the Public Security Ministry (MSP) detained a security guard, surname Espinoza Martinez, as a suspect in the death.

In late December, Stefaniak’s family sued Airbnb and Villa Buena Vista. ABC News shared part of the lawsuit, which accused the property owners of negligence. 

“Defendants, AIRBNB and VILLA BUENA VISTA, negligently failed to perform any kind of background check or otherwise take any measures to determine whether Martinez was fit for the officiality and authority and power and control provided to him,” the lawsuit states.

“The harm to Stefaniak caused by MARTINEZ was a foreseeable and well-known hazard of the industry.”

Duncan Anderson / The Tico Times

Earlier this month, the Stefaniaks’ attorney, Joseph Rivera, spoke with Teletica and provided further updates on the case. He said the family believes more people were involved in Stefaniak’s death, citing the distance her body was moved and alleging the room was cleaned after her death.

“We maintain a hypothesis that between five and seven people [were involved],” Rivera told Teletica. “Because for us, it’s difficult for a rigid body — a dead body — to be moved to where they found the body.”

OIJ’s investigation of the case remains ongoing. The organization has not named additional suspects in the crime other than Espinoza Martinez, whom OIJ said is a Nicaraguan citizen who was in the country illegally.

“We are waiting for more information from OIJ,” Rivera said.

Authorities are still trying to match DNA samples from blood found under Stefaniak’s fingernails, according to Teletica.

“In this moment, the investigation remains open,” Marco Carrión, chief of OIJ’s homicide department, said. “We are looking for whatever element, whatever details will help us finalize the investigative phase.

“At the moment, what we have established is a single person was responsible.”

Stefaniak’s family held a celebration of life for Carla on Jan. 26. Via their Facebook page, Finding Carla, they have asked others to “keep the pressure” on OIJ to prevent the case from being forgotten.

“This is a complex case, and it’s a difficult case,”  Walter Espinoza, the Director General of the OIJ, said in December. “The resolution of this case is very important for the country, for the victim’s family, and for society as a whole.”



Trending Now

Costa Rica’s Wild Capuchin Monkeys Are Using AI Touchscreens

Wild white-faced capuchin monkeys in Costa Rica are learning to use a touchscreen in the middle of the forest, giving researchers a new way...

Williams Sisters Lose Cincinnati Open Doubles Thriller

Serena and Venus Williams came within two points of completing a dramatic comeback Monday night, but their long-awaited doubles reunion ended with a 2-6,...

Family Demands Answers on Missing Political Prisoners in Nicaragua

Relatives of a retired military officer and his wife, who were detained a year ago in Nicaragua, demanded Saturday that the government of Daniel...

One of Costa Rica’s Must-Do Trips: The Water Taxi from Sierpe to Drake Bay

There are some trips in Costa Rica where the journey is every bit as memorable as the destination. The water taxi from Sierpe to...

Paulo Wanchope expected back at Herediano for a third spell in charge

The former Manchester City and West Ham striker is reported to be closing an agreement to take over at Herediano, a job he has held twice before. The club has not announced it.

General Cañas Highway Lane Closures Begin Monday in Costa Rica

Drivers using the General Cañas Highway between Alajuela and San José should prepare for additional congestion beginning Monday as crews carry out eight days...

Nicaragua Bishop Abelardo Mata Says He Is Well After Detention

Catholic Bishop Abelardo Mata, a critic of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega, said he is in good condition in an interview broadcast Wednesday by the...

Costa Rica’s Route 32 Reopens After a Morning Landslide Shuts the Highway

Route 32 closed for about four hours Saturday morning after material fell on the San José-Limón highway. Here are the alternates and why the road can shut again.

Costa Rica Dollar Exchange Rate Hits Historic Low as Central Bank Intervenes

The U.S. dollar has fallen to its lowest level in Costa Rica’s modern wholesale foreign-exchange market, increasing the squeeze on those residents who earn...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel