The good news is that in March the overall number of Covid cases continue to come down as well as hospital admissions. Let’s take a closer look at the numbers that came out this week from the ministry of health to make better sense of all this.
A Closer Look at the Numbers
On March 15, the Health Ministry reported 1093 cases were recorded, 6 deaths and 708 people remain hospitalized, 2 in private centers and 706 in the public system, of this total 94 people are hospitalized in the ICU and 614 are in a public room.
In terms of deaths, for the week of March 6 – March 12, 74 deaths were recorded, while from February 27 – March 5, there were 84 deaths recorded. This is a 11.9% reduction in the mortality rate from one week to the next.
Week Number 10:
- 7,970 new Covid-19 cases from March 6 – March 12
- A decrease of 3,348 new Covid Cases compared to week 9 (February 27 to March 5)
- The average number of hospitalized Covid-19 patients in Costa Rica was 778 (the week before it was 855 people)
- There were 479 new hospital admissions associated with Covid-19, down from 599 the previous week (7.8% decrease)
These totals represent an average of 1,138 cases per day and a 29.6% week-over-week decrease.
Breakdown by Age Groups
- 68.9% were in the age group of 65
- 16.2% in the 50-64 age group
- 14.9% in the age group of 18 to 49 years of age
- 0% for minors.
This brings the total number of deaths in Costa Rica, as of March 15, 2022, that can be directly related to Covid-19 since the pandemic began to 8192!
For more information about Covid-19 in Costa Rica, see the Health Ministry graphic below: