Livin’ la Pura Vida: The Simpsons goes to Costa Rica
What’s “Pura Vida”?
Marge Simpson, and the U.S. sitcom’s millions of viewers, now know the answer. The family visited Costa Rica as part of Sunday night’s episode of the long-running TV show.
“It means pure life — kind of a state of mind down here. Very chill. Like what you think is chill, but, like, a million times chiller,” Marge learns.
Some episode highlights:
- Marge drives through Springfield yelling “Costa Rica!” at the top of her lungs after the family is invited on the trip by the Van Hountens.
- Marge describes their destination as “a luxury villa right on the beach near pristine rainforest home to 5% of the species on earth! … In a land where it’s normal for kids to carry machetes!”
- A sunburned Homer accidentally lets several monkeys tear apart the aforementioned luxury villa. (The monkeys are so comfortable with humans that they must be in Manuel Antonio!)
- The stone spheres “made by the extinct Diquis people of Costa Rica” make an important appearance.
- Marge has a fascination for getting the perfect vacation selfie in front of a waterfall. “All I wanted it for my friends to be jealous of me!” Marge says.
Stream the full episode on Fox here.
You may be interested
Startled researchers discover Costa Rica is, in fact, an islandAlejandro Zúñiga - April 1, 2020
A team of researchers from the University of Costa Rica (UCR) has made a stunning discovery: Costa Rica is, in…
Pura Vida from home: Costa Rica virtual vacationAlejandro Zúñiga - March 31, 2020
The coronavirus has forced many of us to forgo vacations for social distancing. Work-from-home has replaced waterfalls; Netflix has replaced…
Costa Rica inaugurates coronavirus-specific hospital; total cases reach 347Alejandro Zúñiga - March 31, 2020
Costa Rica on Tuesday inaugurated a medical center that will exclusively treat patients with COVID-19. The facilities were created in…