Livin’ la Pura Vida: The Simpsons goes to Costa Rica
What’s “Pura Vida”?
Marge Simpson, and the U.S. sitcom’s millions of viewers, now know the answer. The family visited Costa Rica as part of Sunday night’s episode of the long-running TV show.
“It means pure life — kind of a state of mind down here. Very chill. Like what you think is chill, but, like, a million times chiller,” Marge learns.
Some episode highlights:
- Marge drives through Springfield yelling “Costa Rica!” at the top of her lungs after the family is invited on the trip by the Van Hountens.
- Marge describes their destination as “a luxury villa right on the beach near pristine rainforest home to 5% of the species on earth! … In a land where it’s normal for kids to carry machetes!”
- A sunburned Homer accidentally lets several monkeys tear apart the aforementioned luxury villa. (The monkeys are so comfortable with humans that they must be in Manuel Antonio!)
- The stone spheres “made by the extinct Diquis people of Costa Rica” make an important appearance.
- Marge has a fascination for getting the perfect vacation selfie in front of a waterfall. “All I wanted it for my friends to be jealous of me!” Marge says.
Stream the full episode on Fox here.
You may be interested
Costa Rica cancels its biggest year-end parade due to pandemicAFP and The Tico Times - May 28, 2020
Costa Rica will not celebrate its traditional Festival de la Luz, a parade of colorful floats that tours the capital…
Tico Talk: 10 Costa Rican Spanish expressions for expats and touristsChristopher Howard - May 28, 2020
You can’t call yourself fluent in Costa Rican Spanish unless you understand its slang. Over the past months, we have…
Health restrictions in Costa Rica cause tension on border with NicaraguaAFP and The Tico Times - May 28, 2020
Thousands of Nicaraguan truckers blocked the country's southern border on Wednesday, in retaliation for the health restrictions imposed by Costa…