No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeArchiveHonduran Man Discovers Skeleton in Yard

Honduran Man Discovers Skeleton in Yard

TEGUCIGALPA – A Honduran man who was digging a deep hole in the backyard of his house uncovered bones and shards of vessels some 4,000 years old, the press reported Feb. 12.

The regional director of the Honduran Anthropology and History Institute, or IHAH, Aldo Zelaya, said that experts from the institution set out last week to retrieve all of the remains.

The discovery was made by Andres García, a resident of the poor Cerrito Lindo neighborhood in the northern city of San Pedro Sula. García told media outlets that after several days working to build a septic tank, he had dug down several meters “when I found a skeleton intact and part of a clay pot.”

Zelaya said that the bones were about 3.6 meters underground and could be those of a slender man of medium height.

He estimated the age of the remains “at possibly some 3,000 to 4,000” years old and added that the person could have belonged to an ancient Protolenca tribe, a mixture of Mayas, Lencas and Payas, that inhabited the Puerto Escondido area, now an archaeological reserve.

Experts at the institute will undertake more excavations to dig up the skeleton completely, since the only part uncovered is from the pelvis to the legs, he said.

They will also look for other objects that could be buried with the bones, in addition to the between 12 and 20 shards of earthenware pots found by García.

The discovery has attracted a number of curiosity-seekers to García’s humble abode.

 

Trending Now

Miguel Herrera Opens Up on Costa Rica’s Heartbreaking World Cup Miss

Mexican coach Miguel Herrera returned home after a tough stint with the Costa Rican national team, sharing his raw thoughts on the squad's inability...

How Latin America Is Adapting to Trump’s New Pressure

Latin America is navigating a minefield of economic and military threats following Donald Trump’s return to the White House. Some leaders have pushed back,...

Brazil’s Bolsonaro Moved From House Arrest to Police Custody

Brazil's former president Jair Bolsonaro was taken from house arrest into police custody on Saturday to prevent him from escaping as he appeals a...

Six Airlines Cancel Routes with Venezuela After US Warning

Six airlines cancelled their routes with Venezuela on Saturday, after the United States warned civil aviation about an “increase in military activity” amid the...

In Memory of Carlos Alvarado Valverde: A Highly Regarded Authority on Costa Rican Security

Carlos Alvarado Valverde, former director of the Coast Guard, former head of the Costa Rican Drug Control Institute (ICD), and respected security analyst, died...

Maduro Dances Defiantly Amid US Threats in Venezuela

Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro took to the stage at the Miraflores presidential palace during a Student Day march, where he danced to a remix...
Avatar
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Rocking Chait
Costa Rica Travel

Latest News from Costa Rica