No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeNewsChoose Peace: Pope Marks First Easter Under Cloud of Mideast War

Choose Peace: Pope Marks First Easter Under Cloud of Mideast War

Pope Leo XIV on Sunday urged “those who have the power to unleash wars” to “choose peace” in his first Easter blessing as pontiff with the Middle East conflict raging. Christians around the world marked the holiday under the shadow of a war that began with US-Israeli strikes against Iran on February 28 and has drawn in the whole region, convulsing the global economy.

“We are growing accustomed to violence, resigning ourselves to it, and becoming indifferent,” the pope told a crowd in St Peter’s Square. “Indifferent to the deaths of thousands of people,” he added. “Indifferent to the repercussions of hatred and division that conflicts sow.”

The leader of the world’s 1.4 billion Roman Catholics, who was elected in May 2025, also called for a prayer vigil at the Vatican on April 11. He paid tribute to his predecessor pope Francis who last appeared in public on Easter Sunday last year — a few hours before his death.

Breaking with a tradition established by his predecessors, he did not specifically directly refer to any country or region caught up in crisis. Leo has repeatedly called for peace in the Middle East and this week directly urged US President Donald Trump to find an “off-ramp”. On Sunday he spoke of “a world ravaged by wars and marked by a hatred and indifference that make us feel powerless in the face of evil”.

Jerusalem restrictions

In Jerusalem, there was silence in the alleyways of the Old City, left deserted by Israel’s conflict in Gaza and now the Middle East war. Israeli authorities have severely restricted access to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, where the faithful commemorate Christ’s crucifixion and resurrection, because of security considerations.

On routes approaching the church, police checkpoints screened a small number of worshippers allowed near the site. All shops in the area were closed, heightening the sense of emptiness. “It’s very hard for all of us because it’s our holiday… It’s really hard to want to pray but to come here and find nothing. Everything is closed,” said Christina Toderas, 44, from Romania.

Otmar Wassermann, 65, had also attempted to enter the Holy Sepulchre but failed. “I must say I was somewhat frustrated,” he said, recalling how the feast is generally celebrated every year. “The doors are still closed,” the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, Cardinal Pierbattista Pizzaballa, said in his Easter Vigil homily at the Holy Sepulchre.

Pizzaballa was prevented by Israeli police from holding mass in the church last Sunday, an incident that sparked international indignation. “The silence is almost absolute, broken perhaps by the distant sound of what war continues to sow in this holy and torn land,” he said, according to a text of his sermon issued by his office.

Trust in God

In Lebanon, majority Christian areas in the south of the country are caught in the crossfire between Israel and the Iran-backed Hezbollah movement. In Debel, close to the Israeli border, inhabitants marked Easter Sunday against the sound of bombardment around their village, now almost totally cut off from the world and dependent on aid deliveries.

“The situation is tragic,” town notable Joseph Attieh said. “People are terrified, and the sound of shelling and gunfire has not stopped for a moment since last night. We haven’t been able to sleep. “We are putting our trust in God,” Attieh said, since “this is the only glimmer of hope we will not give up on”.

The war has also impacted the lives of Christian minorities in other parts of the Middle East. In Dubai, masses have been cancelled until further notice as a security precaution. In Damascus, Catholic authorities said Easter celebrations would be restricted to mass following an attack on a Christian town in central Syria.

Trending Now

Rodrigo Chaves Stays at Center of Power as Costa Rica Enters Fernández Era

Costa Rica’s transfer of power on Friday is bringing a new president but not a clean break from the leader who dominated the last...

Guanacaste Volcano Now Most Active in Costa Rica

Rincón de la Vieja has overtaken Turrialba and Poás as Costa Rica's most active volcano, vulcanologists at the National University said this week, after...

Costa Rica Central Bank Warns Dollar Decline Could Reverse

The president of the Central Bank of Costa Rica, Róger Madrigal, warned that the recent weakness of the U.S. dollar against the colón could...

Spirit Airlines Shutdown Strands Central America Travelers

One day after Spirit Airlines ceased all operations, travelers in Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras and Belize are scrambling to find seats on other carriers...

Costa Rica Press Freedom Under Scrutiny After US Visa Revocations

Just days before Costa Rica inaugurates its new president, a deeply troubling development has cast a shadow over the country’s long-standing reputation as a...

Nayib Bukele Opens 70 More Schools in El Salvador Education Push

El Salvador’s government inaugurated 70 renovated public schools on Sunday as the third batch under President Nayib Bukele’s Dos Escuelas por Día program. The...
Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel