Costa Rican government: There is no $8 million from China
Foreign Minister Enrique Castillo said Wednesday that an $8 million donation from the Chinese government was actually part of a Chinese aid package to be used to build a National Police Academy.
Said Castillo of the $8 million donation the Costa Rican government announced last week: “It was a miscommunication on the part of Chinese authorities.” Chinese officials were forced to clarify the misunderstanding “when aid requests were sent by people affected by the Nicoya earthquake and living in coastal areas,” he said.
Presidency Minister Carlos Ricardo Benavides told Radio Reloj that he “prefered not to call it a miscommunication,” but he also “wasn’t fully aware of the details.”
President Laura Chinchilla said on Aug. 29 the money donated by China “would be invested in technology or education.” Castillo said on Wednesday the money must be used entirely for the Police Academy.
You may be interested
Costa Rica immigration offices to remain closed until OctoberAlejandro Zúñiga - September 19, 2020
The Immigration Administration on Friday said its main and regional offices will remain closed until October due to the coronavirus…
Pic of the Day: Hopping into the weekendAlejandro Zúñiga - September 19, 2020
Happy weekend from all of us at The Tico Times! [caption id="attachment_62085" align="aligncenter" width="740"] (Courtesy of Brian Kubicki)[/caption] [caption id="attachment_111342"…
Top dental clinics in Costa Rica meet patient needs in the age of COVIDVayolla Quiros / Goodness Dental - September 18, 2020
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released its guidelines for dental settings in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.…