No menu items!

COSTA RICA'S LEADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE NEWSPAPER

HomeTopicsBusinessUS real estate developer accused of $7 million fraud

US real estate developer accused of $7 million fraud

U.S. real estate developer Patrick Vincent Hundley, 45, a major player in the central Pacific town of Jacó, was arrested Monday along with two other suspects on suspicion of committing $7 million in real estate fraud.

The daily La Nación reported on Wednesday that the developer of projects including Diamante del Sol, Bahía Azul and The Palms, and the owner and president of DayStar Propertiesallegedly defrauded five foreign investors of millions of dollars when he convinced them to invest in a property in Jacó, a popular tourist beach destination.

The Prosecutor’s Office confirmed in an email to The Tico Times on Wednesday that Hundley was accused of administrative fraud, a crime that carries up to 10 years in prison. The same email added that another man with the last names Mora Delagdo, and a woman with the last names Fernández Cruz also had been charged in the case.

A records search shows a man with the last names Mora Delgado belongs to several of Hundley’s 70 listed Costa Rican corporations (both SAs and LLCs).

According to a criminal complaint filed in July 2013, Hundley allegedly told investors he could help them avoid paying higher real estate prices by purchasing property through his own company. The plaintiffs then paid Hundley up to $500,000 a month for future shares in that company. However, the plaintiffs say that after paying $7 million, they never received the shares or the 15,850 square-meter property.

According to La Nación, the property Hundley offered for sale had liens on it and its ownership was in question, which prosecutors say constitutes additional administrative fraud.

Hundley became a permanent resident of Costa Rica in 2008, according to the Immigration Administration. Hundley – who also formerly owned Jacó’s Second Division soccer team the Jacó Rays – has said he first moved to Costa Rica in 2002.

According to the sports daily Al Día, on Wednesday, Jacó Rays President Johnny Pérez told Radio ADN that Hundley hasn’t owned the team “for a while” and now is a sponsor, donating $1,500 a month to the team.

A hearing before a criminal judge in Garabito was set for 3 p.m. on Wednesday to determine if the court would impose preventive measures while the investigation continues.

Watch a video of Hundley introducing the Rays, founded in 2010, here:

Trending Now

One of Costa Rica’s Must-Do Trips: The Water Taxi from Sierpe to Drake Bay

There are some trips in Costa Rica where the journey is every bit as memorable as the destination. The water taxi from Sierpe to...

Fernández Tours Flooded Limón as Pressure Builds for an Emergency Declaration

Fernández toured flooded Limón on Monday as a legislator pressed for a formal emergency declaration for the Caribbean.

Possible Archaeological Find in Costa Rica Delays Water Project

A long-awaited project to bring piped drinking water to Isla Caballo has hit another delay after crews uncovered ceramic pieces, shells and fossil material...

Costa Rica Wildlife Study Records 79 Species at Reserva Conchal

A year-long wildlife study at Reserva Conchal in Guanacaste documented 79 species of mammals, birds and reptiles, nearly double the 40 recorded during the...

Latin American Qualifiers Face Double-Duty Day at Cincinnati Open

Latin America’s Cincinnati Open contingent faces a high-pressure Wednesday after severe weather disrupted the opening day of qualifying, leaving several players from the region...

Costa Rica Heavy Rains Cause Flooding and Travel Disruptions

Heavy rains from Tropical Wave No. 32 left flooding, overflowing rivers, landslides and road problems across several parts of Costa Rica, while forecasters warned...

Costa Rica Audit Finds 157 Unfinished Works and Safety Risks on Route 32

A new technical audit of the Route 32 expansion has identified 157 unfinished works, unstable slopes and road-safety problems along the highway connecting central...

Family Demands Answers on Missing Political Prisoners in Nicaragua

Relatives of a retired military officer and his wife, who were detained a year ago in Nicaragua, demanded Saturday that the government of Daniel...

Corcovado National Park Placed on Red Alert Over Sewage and Crumbling Infrastructure

A coalition of Costa Rican environmental organizations has placed Corcovado National Park under what it calls a red alert, warning that sewage discharges, decaying...
🌴 The Weekly Pura Vida

Costa Rica, Once a Week

The week's top stories, weather & insider tips — delivered every Sunday. One email, zero clutter.

🔒 Free. No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Loading…

Latest News from Costa Rica

Costa Rica Coffee Maker Chorreador
Costa Rica Car Rentals
Costa Rica Travel Insurance
Costa Rica Travel