Quintavalle Ordered To Pay Bond
Italian Matteo Quintavalle, who is accused of a multimillion-dollar real estate fraud, has until April 2 to pay a $300,000 bond or go back to jail, prosecutor José Martínez said.
A judge initially set the bond on Feb. 14 but Quintavalle’s lawyers immediately appealed. The judge rejected the appeal late last week.
Quintavalle has yet to be indicted in the case. He was arrested in July after more than 80 investors filed a criminal complaint, alleging he defrauded them of over $12 million for real estate developments on the Pacific coast.
Meanwhile, local and international authorities are still looking to arrest U.S. citizens Christopher Coulther, 37, and Robert Simmons Davis, 44. Both are exbusiness partners of Quintavalle who helped him line up investors.
Martínez and Interpol spokeswoman Mercedes Quesada said the hunt was on.
Coulther is in the United States, according to intermediaries who have contacted The Tico Times. Quesada said the United States and Costa Rica have an extradition treaty but it doesn’t allow either country to extradite their own citizens.
“They can’t be extradited while they are in their own countries but as soon as they leave, Interpol can have them arrested.”
You may be interested
Costa Rica announces few new restrictions in face of saturated hospitalsAlejandro Zúñiga - May 10, 2021
Costa Rica on Monday announced new measures to address the saturation of its public health system due to Covid-19. Commercial…
Caja asks government to impose new Covid measuresThe Tico Times - May 10, 2021
The Board of Directors of the Costa Rican Social Security Fund (CCSS) made a “respectful and vehement call” to Costa…
Costa Rica gov. continues debating pandemic responseThe Tico Times - May 10, 2021
The Costa Rican government is meeting on Monday with various sectors to discuss its response to saturated hospitals and the…