Cielo Vista

Heredia Pub Raises Bar for Traffic Law

January 16, 2009

Despite widespread frustrations over Costa Rica’s new traffic law, which cracks down on drunken driving, at least one enterpreneur is trying to make the best of the situation.

To confront reduced business at his bar, Alfredo Sánchez, owner of Los Itabos in San Miguel de Santo Domingo de Heredia, north of San José, is arranging rides home for his customers and has started a food and drink delivery service.

Though some liquor stores and supermarkets are reporting increased sales, Sanchéz business at his bar has gone down.

He assumes it is due to the more severe traffic law that took effect on Dec. 23 and carries heavy penalties for people who drive while under the influence of alcohol.

Sánchez, 52, who has owned Los Itabos for the past four years, says modifying his business plan is necessary because 40 percent of his revenue depends on beer and liquor sales, and the other 60 percent is food.

He lives in the area with his wife and children, and though he agrees that the laws were put in place for the safety of everyone, it’s still not easy to deal with the change.

“How am I even supposed to keep my house without the business I had?” says Sánchez. “It’s hard. We had to start the delivery system just so that I can sustain the bar.”

Sánchez is offering to deliver a large menu of food and full alcohol bottles. He is also offering the services of some friends who are willing to drive locals to and from the bar for a reasonable price, and whoever agrees to be a designated driver for a minimum of six people gets a free beverage and appetizer.

 

Facebook Comments

You may be interested

Cases of microcephaly quadruple in Costa Rica due to Zika
Costa Rica
66 views
Costa Rica
66 views

Cases of microcephaly quadruple in Costa Rica due to Zika

Monserrat Cordero Parra / Semanario Universidad - May 23, 2019

Health authorities reported Wednesday that the births of children with microcephaly in Costa Rica have quadrupled since the appearance of…

TBT: When LACSA flew the colors of Costa Rica across the Americas
Throwback Thursday
56 views
Throwback Thursday
56 views

TBT: When LACSA flew the colors of Costa Rica across the Americas

Alejandro Zúñiga - May 23, 2019

LACSA, or Lineas Aéreas Costarricenses S.A., once flew the colors of Costa Rica throughout North, Central and South America. Founded…

No Navas as Costa Rica names roster for Peru friendly
La Sele
20 views
La Sele
20 views

No Navas as Costa Rica names roster for Peru friendly

Alejandro Zúñiga - May 22, 2019

The Costa Rican soccer federation on Wednesday revealed its roster for an upcoming friendly against Peru. The list includes Álvaro…

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!